The Comment Game
Thursday, March 26, 2009

Being a blogger I have had many conversations with bloggers and non-bloggers alike regarding the act of commenting (you know who you are). I have told many that I think commenting on blogs is an act of love. A way of letting the person know that you appreciate the time they took in putting their thoughts out there, being possibly vulnerable, and/or providing a piece of entertainment to my daily blog reading. So I try and do it. I am an interactive listener, my family tells me, so commenting is my way of letting them know I am listening.
I also know that once you start blogging your views and feelings on getting comments completely change. You will wonder why certain blogs had no comments and others get a ton. Sometimes you will get a comment from someone you had no idea actually reads your blog and it will make you smile. I could go on and on about my theories on commenting but I will spare you the details...
That being said, I know that a lot of people are silent readers of blogs and I can respect that too.
The Point of My Post: So whether or not you are a commenting-blogger, or a non-blogging commenter, or a non-commenting blogger, or a non-blogging non-commenter (did I cover them all?), I think this post from The Would-Be Writers Guild titled: A Message to Bloggers and Readers, gives a fun view on this issue and articulates my feeling well on the idea of commenting. It looks long but reads quickly and will make you laugh. So read it. If you just can't read through the whole thing scroll down to the end where the numbered list starts.
commenters AND you silent readers.


16 Comments:
That's a good point. There are a lot of blogs I read and never comment just because I feel like I have nothing to say. but I like the idea that it just lets them know that I'm interested and listening.
Thanks for your comment, Stacie.
I usually want to comment on your blog everyday but I'm lazy as I read all my blogs on google reader-an idea I got from you by the way. So I don't comment too much but I love getting comments myself so I'm trying to be better.
I get lots of great ideas from you. I'm totally budgeting everything out using Mint.com per you and I spent one..okay maybe two unproductive work hours yesterday searching out information on when The Wonder Years will be released on DVD and where I can watch them in the meantime. Just know if I don't comment I still probably read your blog.
i agree that, as wonderful as google reader is, it makes me comment less. i'll read quickly through all the posts on my list and then i'll think to myself, "i need to go back and comment on that." and then, of course, i'll always forget.
but anyway, another great post. xoxo, lisa.
now i feel pressure to comment on this post! no just kidding. i am totally a #2 blogger. such great insight into commenting! i would like you to know that my mom called me yesterday to talk about your blog and i have also talked to my dad about your blog (all good things of course), so know that you have many secret readers in my fam.
I love reading your blog! You are such a great and entertaining writer. It's always so much fun to see what you are "rambling" about! You have a fan here! :)
I totally loved Tiffany's post too! Blogging is a funny thing, but comments are awesome- no one can deny that!
Thanks for sharing that link It was way (all caps, bold and italisized) funny.
i'm commenting to let you know i am listening.
i bet you get a lot of comments on this post :)
yeah i agree good link. funny. ha. ha
I've thought about this topic a lot. I love spending time reading blogs, and I usually find them through links from friends' blogs or friend's of friends' blogs (not sure I'm using the apostrophe correclty here). Anyway, I avoid commenting sometimes because most blogs are pretty personal like, "here's my new baby, see how happy I am" and I want to say, "Congratulations, your baby is beautiful." But then I think it would be weird because the blogger doesn't know me. Does that happen to you ever?
Hey, thanks for the mention! I enjoy reading what everybody has to say on this topic. Fascinating!
I SO agree, girl! Comments are your only indication that anyone is reading the feelings of your heart. I have been so touched, uplifted and edified by the comments you have left on my blog. They are little love notes across the miles for friends who see each other far too seldom.
I LOVE reading your blog. You are so REAL, so unique, so funny . . . SO Aimee. Love you, girl!
I just love reading your blog because it reminds me of what an awesome person you are. I loved being friends with you during the teenage years and of course, I always thought you were super cool but as an adult I love and appreciate you and "who you are" even more. You are a product of an amazing family that combine spirituality with individuality. You are incredibly open-minded, liberal and Christ-like. And yes you can be all 3 and STILL be a "good" mormon. I feel like I am a better person for reading your perspective on everything about life. Your blog is so refreshing!! Thank you.
We're reading, Aimee... and your husband's too. That dude is a crack up.
ahhh yes, the comment topic. Totally agree 100%. Thanks for introducing me to the Would be Writers Guild blog too! I might even comment there too!
Here's a recent and funny blog on this same topic that I got a kick out of: http://www.ericdsnider.com/snide/the-10-types-of-internet-comments/
This is my act of love!
Post a Comment