The Couple Dating Scene
Thursday, April 30, 2009
Pre-marriage I didn't realize how tricky the couple dating thing would be.
He needs to like her, you need to like him.
You need to like her, he needs to like him.
And the same goes for the other couple.
They both need to like you both back.
And the same goes for the other couple.
They both need to like you both back.
Everyone needs to genuinely like everyone in order for it to be a successful couple friendship that will last for a lifetime. The kind of friendship where you get choked up at their children's wedding ("How did they grow up so fast?" {tear}).
This may seem like an easy equation but in the real world couple dating is a complicated, delicate, relational matter.
You may have experienced a night out where the boys are buddies but the other wife is as boring as reading a book on snails and you are trapped for a whole evening. Or you and hub are getting along great with the wife but her husband wants to talk about his multi-level marketing product that you MUST-BUY-BECAUSE-IT-WILL-CHANGE-YOUR-LIFE all night and again, trapped. When your spouse tells you that you will be hanging out with "that couple" again, your heart sinks and you pray for the hours to go by quickly. "Didn't we just hang out with them?," you think to yourself. *
On the flip side, those nights out with the perfect balanced couples are magical. You get in the car to drive home and say to each other, "Aren't we so lucky to have such wonderful, funny - hilarious even, intelligent, wise, kind, thought-provoking, non-judgmental, open-minded, amazing friends where we can be completely ourselves and say crazy things in the late hours of the night and they still love us anyway?" "Oh yes. Yes indeed we are lucky, honey."
So tonight Scott and I were driving home from a wonderful trifecta couple date in West Seattle and got on the subject of another, distant couple I am intrigued by. I would go as far to say, "admiring from a distance". We started talking about why they are intriguing to me, possible outcomes for dating this couple, the interactions we've both had with each partner in the couple, and how we might approach making it happen someday. We spent a few more minutes talking about the potential we see in them as future couple dating candidates. And then Scott says jokingly, "Well, do you think they would be...[pause]...interested?"
We laughed our heads off because our conversation had become pretty ridiculous. But maybe, someday, we will get the balls to flirt with this couple and see if they might want to date us too.
Point of my Post: Cherish your couple friends. Wrap them in your arms and give them a big hug because their friendship adds a wonderful, healthy dynamic to your marriage.
* Situations have been changed to protect the innocent. Don't worry this couple is not you and your spouse. Or is it??.... Ha, ha, ha...
This may seem like an easy equation but in the real world couple dating is a complicated, delicate, relational matter.
You may have experienced a night out where the boys are buddies but the other wife is as boring as reading a book on snails and you are trapped for a whole evening. Or you and hub are getting along great with the wife but her husband wants to talk about his multi-level marketing product that you MUST-BUY-BECAUSE-IT-WILL-CHANGE-YOUR-LIFE all night and again, trapped. When your spouse tells you that you will be hanging out with "that couple" again, your heart sinks and you pray for the hours to go by quickly. "Didn't we just hang out with them?," you think to yourself. *
On the flip side, those nights out with the perfect balanced couples are magical. You get in the car to drive home and say to each other, "Aren't we so lucky to have such wonderful, funny - hilarious even, intelligent, wise, kind, thought-provoking, non-judgmental, open-minded, amazing friends where we can be completely ourselves and say crazy things in the late hours of the night and they still love us anyway?" "Oh yes. Yes indeed we are lucky, honey."
Good couple friends are priceless and surprisingly hard to find.
So tonight Scott and I were driving home from a wonderful trifecta couple date in West Seattle and got on the subject of another, distant couple I am intrigued by. I would go as far to say, "admiring from a distance". We started talking about why they are intriguing to me, possible outcomes for dating this couple, the interactions we've both had with each partner in the couple, and how we might approach making it happen someday. We spent a few more minutes talking about the potential we see in them as future couple dating candidates. And then Scott says jokingly, "Well, do you think they would be...[pause]...interested?"
We laughed our heads off because our conversation had become pretty ridiculous. But maybe, someday, we will get the balls to flirt with this couple and see if they might want to date us too.
Point of my Post: Cherish your couple friends. Wrap them in your arms and give them a big hug because their friendship adds a wonderful, healthy dynamic to your marriage.
* Situations have been changed to protect the innocent. Don't worry this couple is not you and your spouse. Or is it??.... Ha, ha, ha...


20 Comments:
I completely agree. Couple friends are priceless and so hard to find!
I 100% agree. Thane and I have a few couples we can hang out with together (date). But I have a group of girlfriends that I only hang out with as girls. The couple thing would be too painful I think.
Haha! This post is awesome. Isn't it so crazy to find couple friends??? Yet, so very important as well. Ryan and I have couple crushes, too.
***I just want to make it clear that Aimee and I are not swingers.***
Thank you.
This post was so touching. We love and cherish you as couple friends so much. I mean who would have thought our husbands would be SO close? And you Aimee, well all I’m going to say here is “womb” (inside joke everybody).
But I am curious about who these new couple friends are. Do tell (in person, some day, that is). We’re not jealous. Really we aren’t.
Loves to you!
Eva
I love this post.
I especially love the ad at the end.
I don't know if I believe Scott, they may be secret swingers. :)
Good Post. A+
I love this post! Its so true. I will not mention names, but we have one of those couple friends that Jamison loves to hang out with....and I am watching the clock the whole night praying it will end quickly. It really is hard to find a couple to hangout with that we both have a good time with.
Secretly, I hope you guys move back to Utah so that we can become good "couple" friends. I mean, we already stayed up late life talking...wouldn't it be the next natural step in our relationship?
Aimee,
People always talk about swingers and I just think how do you find another couple who you would both want to do you know what with. :)
We already said no, Bri. But I'm liking the enthusiasm. You'll find what you're looking for someday. :)
Its funny cause you would think that if you like your husband and you like your friend and your friend likes their husband and your friend likes you that it should all work out fairly easily but it rarely does.
Aimee, I just really appreciate this post. Not only did I get a good laugh (which stopped my tears of frustration over my children) but I whole heartedly agree. I'm wanting to post an ad for Tymon and I, too. We've got a few couple friends...but couples move away sometimes, too, and that's never fun.
Ha. Great post. Love Scott and Brianne's "on the side" convo. Love it!
A very interesting post, Aimee. I agree with your thoughts about the rewards and difficulty associated with the concept of "dating" other couples.
Having been part of several successful couple friendships in my role as husband to my current and former wife, I can say that the biggest benefit of being close to another couple lies in the realm of perspective. There is something uniquely therapeutic in being able to expose the dirty laundry of your own relationship to another couple. It has been my experience that the other couple invariably shares the same dirty laundry! Telling and hearing about the often funny foibles that we as couples face is the sweetest part of being friends with another couple.
P.S. I'm looking at your blog while I should be writing my overdue paper. Thanks for the distraction!
We had a hard time to trying to get into the "swinging" thing. I like this approach though. You guys are so invited to our next "throw your room key in the bowl party". I have no idea how I didn't pick up on this sooner. Here's to your next trip to UTAH. You are welcome to stay at our house, Friends. Wink Wink.
Are you open to same sex swinging? If so, keep that facial hair growing Scott.
Aimee! Hi, my name is Julie, I'm a friend of Devin and Scott's and I gotta say, I love reading your blog. And because of you I started reading The Time Traveler's Wife and I'm lovin it! Thanks!
This is so true and hilarious! Especially Scott's comment. Love it.
what the crap.
that post is hilarious.
good luck with that couple. i hope they're down.
I absolutely love this posting!
You're right...dating couples is hard...finding couple friends where all the people in the group enjoy each other is a tricky task!
Thanks for making me smile!
I know I'm a little late, but want you to know that I LOVED this post. I so agree. Finding a perfect couple match is sooo hard. But when you do find it, frankly there is nothing better. I also think hanging out with other couples is so good for a marriage. It's one of my favorite things really, dating another couple.
Also loved the couple stats. I am so going to ask Hubs what our couple stats would be. That should be a fun convo.
Also loving all the hilarious comments. It looks like thanks to this post if you guys ever do decide to swing, you definetly would have some takers!
So I started reading your past blogs, well worth it, especially this entry. When Laura and I moved back to Portland, we were blessed with a plethora of potential "couple significant others" and realized it is really difficult to find that special few. We empathize with your post immensely. The process is difficult, but worth the reward. If you 2 are ever in Portland, let us know. Congrats on your degree!
Post a Comment