Don't Wear Fear or Nobody Will Know You're There

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Yes, I am blogging about this song again. It is my blog and I can do whatever I want. It was practically one year ago that I posted about it so I figure I might have to make it a tradition because I believe it to be that good. Plus, this beautiful, live version melted my insides tonight. Please do yourself a favor and take the time to watch it.

How can you not love Yusuf Islam?

I believe Don't Be Shy to be the best song in all of the history of song writing and there are lots of songs that I love in this world but I have declared this to be the best song in all the history of songs. It was a tough competition but this has emerged as my favorite. It has such simple lyrics but if I had to pick a song that represented my worldview this song would be my pick. Without fail it usually makes me tear up.

When Scott and I were watching the clip below and I told him that the lines: Love is better than song / Love is where all of us belong are the best 2 lines in all the history of song lines. He then asked me to explain so I said, "I just like them." And he said, "You are going to have to give me more than that."

So I explained that I believe that songs are one of the most happiest things in all of the happy things in the world and that love is even better than those wonderful songs. So when Cat says love is better than a song that means that love is really, really great. Double really. Which is so true.

The next line stating love is where all of us belong is one of the best statements of all time because I feel that everyone deserves to reside within love. We all belong there. And not just romantic love, I mean the kind of love that connects us as human beings. Love of family, love of friends, love of nature, love of self and so on. On the outside of love is where the tragedy, violation, and abuse happens. Tragic shit, ya know. No one deserves to have those kind of sad experiences happen to them. It isn't fair. So if I had the power I would put everyone in that place because love, is indeed, where all of us belong.

And those words deserve an amen, Cat.



This clip was brought to you for and in behalf of the happy news of one of my coolest friends in the world who got engaged on the Goonie's beach. Does it get any more retro than that?! He is a lucky guy. If she had waited any longer to get married I had considered adding her as a second wife. She is quality.

10 Comments:

Allison said...

Your first Cat Stevens post is the reason I started reading your blog. I though if this lady loves Cat then I love her! and I am obviously still reading. Thanks.

me said...

I love it. Yes, I love it too.

Isn't it just like a Heffernan to push you... to want more information. Why can't Scott just love that you think they're the best lines in the world and leave it at that. Sometimes, there just isn't more. Sometimes there's only that and having to explain simply ruins the experience. Take that Scott.

Marit said...

LOVE IT! Totally welled up with tears, thats one of my favorite songs!
Do you know where he played this? It'd be great to see if there is a recording of the entire show.
Thanks for sharing Aimee!

Marit said...

ps did you watch the Eddie Vedder version of don't be shy? Found it down at the bottom of the you tube window post-video...also breath taking! But then again I always had as serious soft spot for Eddie...

Scott@VoteOrDieBlog said...

Meghan, actually I am usually not the type to egg on the explanation. I was half joking and trying to use her own therapy lingo on her and I said, "Lets explore that. Tell me why you love those lines so much." 'Nuff said.

jamie said...

I love it. I want to listen to it on repeat while I clean.
I think I will.

hannah said...

I truly realised the beauty of this song when I heard my 5 year old singing it.

naptime nostalgia said...

I can't believe I've never heard this song. I love it. And I love Cat. Reminds me so much of junior high.

Also, I love Stacie. And am thrilled with her news. You are right. She is definetly quality.

Sizzle said...

I have never heard that song before-it's so good! Thanks for posting it.

I know someone who got engaged at Goonie's beach too but it's not the same person. Who knew it was such a popular site? ;-)

Kim said...

I LOVE Cat. Thank you for reminding me of this song one of my favorites.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP