Here Comes the Sun Again

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

photo of Greenlake, 1936 from the Seattle Municipal Archives

I was driving to school today in the beautiful Seattle spring sunshine and the most perfect song came on my iPod. Long time readers will remember my thoughts on how my iPod is connected to my soul, so I am not surprised that my iPod came through again today for me. As I was rounding the bend around Greenlake, admiring the beauty that is the Northwest in the spring (the green, green trees against the blue, blue sky with its billowy white clouds is truly breathtaking), I hear the soft piano notes and the strumming of M. Ward's guitar... and my heart becomes happy and a bittersweet nostalgia floods my insides.

Let me explain.

There are some songs, no matter how many times you listen to them, will revisit you after its continuous play time it got when you initially bonded with the song, and it will manage to move you just like it had the first time you really heard the song. The song below is one of those songs for me. An athem of tall grass and sunny, carefree days.

Hello, spring.
We have been anxiously waiting for you.

Here Comes the Sun Again. These lyrics hold more than just the obvious, beautiful seasonal meaning it so powerfully generates while listening. Can you remember darker times in your life where you start emerging from the funk and you feel yourself being yourself again? It was like you were missing or something. Floating through life without fully being present. I can point to a few specific times in my life where I was lost for a minute there and once I started coming out of the haze, it was as if someone had slowly started to bring the lights back up. "Oh, there you are Aimee. Yes, you're starting to come back!" I would cheer to myself.

This exact feeling is captured in this song for me.

So turn your volume up, let the song surround you, sends thanks up for the breeze on your face and the sun on your skin, and renewal and new beginnings, and finding yourself again, and the springtime, and for ipods and music that amplifies your life experience.

Thank you, Mr. M. Ward. Thank you.




Click here to download the song for your very own.
M. Ward, Here Comes the Sun Again

4 Comments:

Bridget said...

It is beautiful...but your post title fooled me. I thought you knew something that I didn't and it's going to be sunny today.

LeAnn said...

I was just thinking today on my way to work how wonderful it is to live in the northwest because its so pretty. I've never been anywhere else that takes my breath away while driving on the freeway.

Shannon said...

great post. i know what you mean about a song bringing you back to that time period.
i love feeling like me again.

...also...
you are SO close to graduating.
happy for you.
still sad for me and the uncertainty it means for my life in keeping you here.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP