My New Goal

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Obviously, the internet gods were sending me a big, fat sign with this picture on i can read today. Ok! Ok! I get it.

Like 2 or 3 days ago I was telling my avid-reader sister Lisa* that I am deeply disappointed that it is May and I have little to show for my reads this year. I could blame it on all the text book reading that I am doing for grad school, but that would be a big lie as I have significantly decreased my diligence on keeping up with the required reading with each passing quarter. All that I have to blame is the internet, and more specifically blogs. I need to make some serious, cut-throat decisions about diminishing my subscription size so I can get back to my true love of tangibly holding a book in my hands and getting lost in a story.

Some days, I feel like I have become a slave to my Google Reader. When I haven't checked it all day and I finally sit down and I have like 180 waiting there, my heart sinks. Now I realize one can skim through blogs really quickly, but still?? That is out of control. This is also the primary reason why I am not letting myself get sucked into Twitter. (Dave and Scott, you can just quit your betting now. It's not going to happen.) I do not need one more thing. You know what I mean by that, right? One more internet distraction to make me feel like I did when I would binge on Us Weekly. Because if I am honest with myself, some of the blogs I read and time I spend on Facebook are empty calories too.

That being said, I don't plan on unsubscribing to any of your blogs. I actually feel like reading those are completely the opposite of a binge. They fill me up and make me feel more connected in the world. So, thank you for that. I usually save them til the end of going through all my blogs. The best for last, of course.

The Goal: Get off the first chapter of Year of Wonder THIS WEEKEND.

* No blog to link to - sad, huh. You see, she would make a lovely blogger, my friends. She has many important and thoughtful things to say to the world. And what better way to do that than a blog, no?

8 Comments:

Sizzle said...

For me it's TV that gets in the way of me reading and now with it being summer (almost! it's so gorgeous outside today!) and the shows all winding to a close for the season, I'll likely read more.

Besides, I love a picnic in the park so maybe this stack of books taunting me will be tackled by summer's end? Here's to hoping!

MAB said...

Exactly why I can't join Facebook. And I am holding strong on that one.

I loved Year of Wonders. I hope you make your goal! Now I need to go read The Time Traveler's Wife...

Brittany said...

I say the exact thing about not joining twitter, and I'm holding strong to keeping my cell phone, JUST a cell phone and not a computer in my hand! I hear ya about spending more time reading actual books though.
I should pick up another book... after I read a few blogs (yours is no empty-calorie blog).

whit said...

Hi, de-lurking. I am actually very good friends with Tracy (small world). I was just thinking this last night, I am reading The Time Traveler's Wife and would have had it finished in 2-3 days without this distraction of blogging. Seriously has cut into my novel time. My reader has 1000 plus in it - pathetic.
But I always time for the blogs that add to my day, not detract.

melanie said...

Agreed. I am just finishing The Devil in the White City. Real easy read. Balance of naughty murders and boring history and is surprisingly okay.

melanie said...

But if it weren't for the 30-45 minute bus ride 2x per day...I would never read.

me said...

Yes! It's so easy to get caught up in the virtual world and forget the simplicity of sitting and reading a book. I like the way books smell. I know that's weird, but I do.

Lisa said...

Thanks for saying that I have, "Many important and thoughtful things to say." One of my concerns about starting a blog is that I won't have anything interesting or blog worthy to put out there. Or that only my two sister's would think I'm witty or funny! I say cheers to more reading of books, but blogs are so fun too. You are to blame for my Reader calling my name over my books, for shame!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP