Abadee, Abadee, Abadee That's All Folks...
Thursday, June 4, 2009
So ladies and gentlemen, yesterday was my last official day at The Internship and tonight I finished my last class of graduate school as I know it {curtsy, curtsy}. What a strange feeling it is to never know if I will be an "enrolled student" again. I love being a student so honestly there is some sadness in that goodbye.
I was driving in today thinking about how quickly this experience has passed. (This is when you insert my famous line: Time; what a thief you are. Because he is, damn him.) I think it is important to ritualize beginnings and endings. In my not so humble opinion, I think our culture could do better at ritual. So I try my hardest to personally ritualize significant moments in my life. Like driving in to school for my very last day as a graduate student and the like. I reflect about the people I've meant, and the experiences I have had, and all the many things I've learned, and all the beautiful and tragic stories I've heard, and the change and growth I have seen within myself and others that I have had the good fortune of crossing with and I can't help but be grateful for how space and time has brought me to this experience with these specific people. This includes all my clients (may the universe protect their paths and keep them safe - hugs not drugs), cohort members, professors/supervisors, practicum group members, cohort members turned great friends (you know who you are), and other coworkers.
I like to picture that all of us have a line that represents our life over time, and throughout our lives we get to cross other people's lines. That period of crossing is a gift and all too often passes before I am ready. So in my own ritual I like to honor the crossing. The crossing that solidifies my love forever for people even though our lines may change course and never again intersect the way they once did. Sacred time, my friends. Sacred time.
This week I said goodbye to many crossings and the lines are moving in different directions now. There is grief and joy all mixed together. And I think it is ok to just stay here for a minute and honor it. There will be many more beautiful crossings, I am sure of it. And I plan on getting frustrated at time when those pass too. But for now, I will stay buzzed on my emotional cocktail and remember to drink up this experience because I only get one time to graduate from graduate school.
I made it.



12 Comments:
Yay!!! You made it. I'm sure the women grew to love you so much as well.
Good for you for taking time to savor all of this. So important, I think.
Bravo!
Congratulations!
Yeah Aimee!! We're so proud of you. Congratulations!
Aimee, congratulations!!! I'm kind of jealous of your clients already. They will be so blessed to have found you as a therapist.
♥eva
I'm so grateful our lines have crossed! Congrats on finishing. Look out world here comes Aimee.
Oh Aimee, you are a born therapist. It has been so wonderful spending these last two years suffering, I mean learning, with you. I know we will remain friends (even when Scott drags you back to Utah) but I will miss seeing you on a weekly basis very much! See you Friday for the festivities :)
Aimee you are a great writer! I know you'll make an even better therapist.
Can't wait to officially congratulate you...
What lovely words; they were uplifting from start to finish and I relish in the concept of "lines crossing". I have learned to realize the unbelievable moment two distinctly different paths cross and become intertwined for a time.
Congratulations to you and all your achievements. You're going to be one doozy of a therapist, I tell you that.
wow I can't believe it is over. it seems like yesterday that you were leaving to move up there! so crazy. I can't wait to see what is next for you two! :-)Congrats Aim.
Congratulations! I am so proud of you and happy for you.
absolutely amazing! Congratulations!
Post a Comment