Hair Straighteners & Heartbreaks
Friday, October 9, 2009
I got a call from a very old friend today. Not old in age, but old as in history together. She knew me when I still wore Dr. Martins and didn't own a hair straightener. She jokingly asked me if I even loved her since there were no pictures of us on Facebook together. Please note: This is coming from a person who doesn't even have a Facebook account??
I told her that if pictures in my Facebook picture albums were a measure of true friendship love than I was in pretty deep trouble with the world. In a couple moments of boredom, I have spent a total of 7.58 minutes uploading pictures onto Facebook. Remember, I am not the best at doing the recaps or uploading current pictures. I let others do it for me.
We ended up talking for over an hour about all the joys, insecurities, frustrations, and life dreams that are going on in the last year of our second decade. I hung up feeling seen and heard and important. Renewed even. These feelings have been constants in our friendship for almost 15 years now, feelings that I think are vital in healthy give and take relationships.
So as I was laying here tonight, I started thinking about old friends. I am lucky enough to have a good handful of people that qualify now as "old friends". And although I love, love, love meeting new people and making new friends, there is just something wonderful about talking to someone who knew you when Super Mario Brothers was the ideal past time together.
Or when you started getting zits.
Or was there when your parents told you that you would be moving your whole life as you knew it to another state that rained 9 months out of the year.
Or who metaphorically wiped the tears from your eyes and reminded you how lovable you really were when you were lost inside because of your first major heartbreak and couldn't clear the fog to see yourself clearly.
Or who believed that you could do anything you wanted in life and continue to cheer you on.
People where there is no clarifying about who this person is or who that person is in your history. People that know your life timeline, series of events, order of boyfriends, hair color changes, cars you drove, etc., because they were there living it right with you (or at least a phone call away). Exactly like that Ani quote says.
So this is a little tribute to all my old friends out there. You know who you are.
I told her that if pictures in my Facebook picture albums were a measure of true friendship love than I was in pretty deep trouble with the world. In a couple moments of boredom, I have spent a total of 7.58 minutes uploading pictures onto Facebook. Remember, I am not the best at doing the recaps or uploading current pictures. I let others do it for me.
We ended up talking for over an hour about all the joys, insecurities, frustrations, and life dreams that are going on in the last year of our second decade. I hung up feeling seen and heard and important. Renewed even. These feelings have been constants in our friendship for almost 15 years now, feelings that I think are vital in healthy give and take relationships.
So as I was laying here tonight, I started thinking about old friends. I am lucky enough to have a good handful of people that qualify now as "old friends". And although I love, love, love meeting new people and making new friends, there is just something wonderful about talking to someone who knew you when Super Mario Brothers was the ideal past time together.
Or when you started getting zits.
Or was there when your parents told you that you would be moving your whole life as you knew it to another state that rained 9 months out of the year.
Or who metaphorically wiped the tears from your eyes and reminded you how lovable you really were when you were lost inside because of your first major heartbreak and couldn't clear the fog to see yourself clearly.
Or who believed that you could do anything you wanted in life and continue to cheer you on.
People where there is no clarifying about who this person is or who that person is in your history. People that know your life timeline, series of events, order of boyfriends, hair color changes, cars you drove, etc., because they were there living it right with you (or at least a phone call away). Exactly like that Ani quote says.
So this is a little tribute to all my old friends out there. You know who you are.
Thank you for loving me through all these years
and being such wonderful characters in my story.
and being such wonderful characters in my story.
Point of this Post: Call an old friend.



6 Comments:
I feel lucky that so many of my dearest friends are friends I've had for 12-20 years. They truly are a blessing.
so true Aim. Great post. I am loving your posts as of late by the way.
I only have 1 old friend, but she is my joy. We both live far apart and get caught up in our lives, but when we do catch up, it's like no time has passed. We are notorious for forgetting to call on each other's birthdays, but we always laugh about it.
And I haven't talked to her since August! Picking up the phone. . . thanks for the reminder! :-)
That Ani quote is an all time favorite of mine. Loved your post. You are a true dear friend, Aimee, and I love that we get to see your thoughtfulness written down.
Beautiful post. I am glad that I get the opportunity to be a somewhat old friend in the future!
Love you.
just last night we were eating dinner with ty's family and his sister was talking about his old girlfriend, he was talking about her old boyfriends. then old cars they drove and i mentioned right then and there how i loved that siblings knew so much about each other. they were having to fill me, his wife, in on some of who was who.
there is something beautiful about siblings and old friend who know you whole life history.
loved this post. beautiful writing.
Post a Comment