The Wish List

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

We are finally at that point in the unpacking where I am starting to feel like things have their place and the plastic tubs scattered throughout the house are finding themselves emptied and moved to the garage. There's not much more that could make me happier than empty tubs and things in their place. What can I say? I am easy to please.

House guests always have a way of lighting a fire under your you-know-what too. 

As I was going through an old tub with the hopes that I could just throw all the contents out (my threshold for "stuff" is tiny), I ran across this letter from Shan to my then newly wedded husband.


Included with the card was my wish list:

(it would be amiss not to notice the two cheesy rings that are attached to the top of the lovely floral print)

Isn't my life partner, Shan, the best? Who does that? Finds a list I made years before and sends it to my husband?! I love her for this and many other reasons too but I digress...

Growing up as a Mormon, you can't get through your teenage years without a lesson in church where they have you write a list of the qualities you want in your eternal companion, or known to the regular world as "a husband". If I had it my way those lessons would be shifted to make a list of how you are going to love yourself (flaws and all) and be a complete person before you join forces with another human and make the biggest decision of your life. But until then the eternal companion wish list lesson will continue I suppose {sigh}.

Although my list was made in my early twenties, I think the list is pretty right on with what I was looking for in someone to spend my life with. I remember the timing of this because I had spent too many years loving someone that did not meet the first requirement and I allowed myself to feel diminished and unappreciated by the experience. Not cool. And I knew that was not what it is supposed to feel like. Hence wish numero uno.

The second pipedream is pretty self explanatory. I believe that healthy modeling proved to me that being with an emotionally healthy person was key to a successful relationship. Plus, I didn't want to lose myself in this thing called love. I wanted to be enhanced. A powerboost so to speak - like in MarioKart. When awarded it makes you better and faster.

Those weren't too much to ask for, right?

I don't think love requires of long laundry list of must-haves. I was surprised with how easily, natural, and timely the events and feelings felt leading up to, during, and while falling in love with Scott. Sizzle wrote a post today that got me thinking about it too. I remember the calculations and the over-analyzing and all that energy that went into the guessing game. Until one day, you just look at the other person and know that you love them. In places in your heart you didn't know existed or that you thought were locked and boarded up and too dark, sad, and neglected to try and open.

And there were no games or calculating even involved in the reopening.

Fancy that.

So I choose to hold hope that there's a lot of love out there to be had. And that many - dare I say most all of my friends with find it. Sizzle will find Her Person. K will find her EC. B will meet her match. Sin City will find a man to love on her real good for the second half of her life to make up for lost time. Jensen will find an intelligent lady to keep up with his banter til the end of his days. And with some time and a deep breath Dull Scissors will once again be in the arms of his lovely A.

I am the hope holder.

Maybe I will quit my day jobs. 

17 Comments:

Katie A. said...

I know B will find her match too. (I hope we're talking about the same B). Sweet sweet post. Love is simple. Love you Aimee!

Eva said...

Aimee, you are so effortlessly profound. Especially impressive that you wrote that in your early 20s. In my early 20s I was probably writing that laundry list and totally missing the point. So glad I have you in my life to say it like it is, and the "is" is full of love, hope and happiness. Isn't that refreshing.

Eva said...

Oh and it was Eva that wrote that. :)

Tiffany said...

I love this post, Aimee, and I love your list too! I wish you could revamp those Sunday School lessons!

jamie said...

I like your idea for a list much better than the typical Sunday school version. I found my list a few years back and it was kindof embarassing.

Also, I showed chase the pic of you and Scott on your blog so she could see who we are staying with, and now for whatever reason she requires seeing it everyday . She tells me "I am taking my backpack and going with Aimee and Scott".

Bridget said...

I think of my list when I was 14 and how it just got shorter and shorter as the years passed and I realized that really there are so few ESSENTIAL qualities and sometimes we are wow'd by the unimportant.

I love your essentials only 2 item list and feel better that it was from your 20s. Then I don't feel so bad about my teen one. ha ha ha.

Darlin' T said...

This is so sweet! I love it.

Sizzle said...

Thank you for being the hope holder! It helps to have friends like you who can hold up the mirror, light the candle, sing the song.

I love that she sent your list to Scott. :-)

Shannon said...

I remember this list!
How nice of me to send it to Scott :)....no wonder I'm still his favorite.

great post on LOVE.

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite posts of yours, Aimee. You are a very good writer. (You know who I am...)

Eric and Katie said...

I love this post! You are such a good writer and such a darling. I miss going to lunch with you - you will always be one of my favorite people to talk with. Love you and miss you!

Anonymous said...

"I am the hope holder".

Yes. And you always have been. How lucky for us all.

There is no one in the world like you, Aimee.

One might even call you Queenie, if they were so inclined.

Unknown said...

I love this, Aimee!!!! I hope I find my EC!!!!! How wonderful that you have this letter and that list for your kids and grandchildren to see. I love it!

JDM said...

I am with you.
Love happens.
When I found mine I was finally at a point in my life where I could recognize and appreciate a good thing. It was a long road but I knew relatively early that I wasn't going to let him go anywhere without marrying me first. Which was, up until our decision to have kids the biggest and best choice that I have ever made.
Not everything is perfect. But I've decided that finding someone to share the imperfect and keep you smiling may be the real key.
Loved your post.

Sunshine Promises said...

Aim, LOVED this post. One of my favs, for sure.

I can still remember talks we would have in Israel, Jordan and Egypt about our futures. What would we choose for careers, would it work out with "him", where would we live, how we would change the world, what would it be like to have children. I am SO happy to know you discovered the secret to TRUE marital happiness early. Seek to BE complete - not to be completed. There is great power to be had with the synergy of two "wholes." What a blessing to have that in Scott.

Love you, girl.

Sin City said...

Aimee... reading your blog made my entire day, maybe even my entire week. And by the way, I think I have found the MAN, or should I say he found me. Thanks for believing!!!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP