Dream Playing

Thursday, December 17, 2009


how darling and post appropriate are these tetris shelves?

It is sad to admit this but have you ever been playing a video game just a little bit too much, and when you are falling asleep your brain starts to unconsciously play the game in your head? I first experienced this as a young thing after playing hours of Tetris on the original Nintendo. I mean some good, solid, childhood hours with the Russian game there folks. Dr. Mario carved a space out in my head on plenty of sleepy nights. Dream playing as I've termed it, revisited me again when I got an addiction to Snood not too many years back. I would close my eye and there the little heads would be, waiting for me to aim and shot until I was insist it to stop in my head.

Please tell me I am not the only one.

Do I see heads nodding?! Hands up high out there.

I tell you this because this past week I have been unconsciously MANAGING MY INBOX IN MY HEAD (yes, I am shouting!) as I drift off to sleep. Putting labels on emails. Searching through names and key phrases. Seeing friends come on and off chat. Editing my contacts. Watching new, bold, unread mail piling on top of each other all while I am trying to drift away into la-la land.

This is disturbing news, my friends. It means I have been spending way to much time in my email. Good, solid hours in fact. A sign that a holiday break with little email usage is the best medicine for my brain.

Ho! Ho! Ho! And happy dreaming.

14 Comments:

Eva said...

My hand is up high. BTW, I am starting to label blog entries I like, especially from design sponge and apartment therapy, just like you taught me and I love it! Maybe I'll start dreaming in google reader...

*eva

LeAnn said...

I thought I was weird for "dream playing" but am glad to know I'm not alone.

Sizzle said...

That would happen to me ALL the time when I had a gameboy and would play Tetris!

Anonymous said...

The thing that is making it into my dreamland are pictures and scenarios of people whose blogs I read...people I've never met in real life! I have conversations with them, play with their kids, pass them on the streets...all in my dreams. Too much time on blogs? Maybe.

Emily said...

My dreams after work on Tuesday were literally word for word conversations that I had with the clients that night. While their faces were twirling around in a dreamy fog. Dreams so interesting

Heather Maddox said...

Oh yes, I dream play... but the worst it ever got was in college when I was in a movie theater and I was playing mindsweeper with the other people in the theater. When I realized what I was doing, I knew I had a problem. :)

Brittany said...

My dream play was always Dr. Mario. For years. This is why I can pick it up and still play it 20 years later. (That just made me sound really old)

MAB said...

I've spent many a sleepless night playing Free Cell in my head. So glad to know I'm not alone in this. :)

Hope you get a nice break.

(BTW, congratulations: you guys made our Christmas card list. Send me your address, unless you hate Christmas cards of course.)

LSL said...

I am so glad I don't have a job right now :) This cracked me up. Take a Tylenol PM and get a decent sleep for godsake!! :)

Lisa said...

Yes to the Tetris dream, no to the gmail dreams. I'm sure they will be coming soon!

camihubrich said...

Immediately Tetris and Dr. Mario came to mind before I read they were your games of choice too. I had a Tetris/Dr. Mario cartridge, two in one. It's no surprise to you anymore that you are not alone in this.

Happy Holidays!

Gleno said...

For the first year that I played the game, the *only* dreams I can recall having had to do with World of Warcraft. I felt like my brain was being rewired.

Hello, nice to meet you. You have a very fine blog here. :-)
Mine's at:
http://glenoterica.blogspot.com

Libbi said...

this is awesome. Yes Prince of Persia, Ninja Gaiden and more recently SMB. I actually threw up in the middle of the night because I felt like I had motion sickness.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP