Crossing Paths

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Gay left me a voicemail tonight with an urgent tone.
I knew it wasn't good.
She and I worked together at the drug treatment center with the parenting women.
She still works there.

My first client that I saw all the way through treatment, graduation, and into out-patient was found dead this morning.
We worked together for over a year and a half and I came to love her so much.
I am praying it wasn't drug-related.
I just don't think my heart can handle that.
Please be health-related.
Please, oh, please.

She was much older than myself and looked like she had a lot more life on her face than little me.
I was worried she would be disappointed that I was assigned as her mental health counselor.
I was younger.
A new intern.
What did I know about the her life? Or drugs for that matter?
Smoking pot a few times didn't constitute knowledge of the world of crank and 8-balls.
She gave me an education to say the least.

Our sessions ended up being some of my favorite experiences at that treatment center.
She always participated in the groups I taught.
She was totally engaged during our sessions and brought so much to the hour.

The age difference made no difference. 
Phew.

I remember after she had been there for a few months things started to change for her.
She told me it was the first time in her life that she could look in the mirror and really be proud of herself.
Love herself even - after all these years.
It was the first time in her life she thought she was beautiful.
Worth it.
Determined to give herself the life she wanted.
And I felt truly honored to be a witness to that experience with her.

I've been in and out of tears all night.
Tears for her kids.
Oh, her kids. {ache}
Tears for her friends.
There are many that love her.
Tears for the what-ifs.
Why didn't I call her recently?
Did she know how much I genuinely cared about her even though I hadn't called?
If I could go back I would've done more.

Coulda.
Woulda.
Shoulda.

And tears for myself.
I will miss her terribly.
She loved to be alive and had this loud, boisterous laugh that filled the room.
She was a good, good human.
Whose life ended much to early.

Damn you, Life.

**

Our lines cross so briefly with the allotted time we are given with each other.
A good reminder to appreciate the daily, present moments together before it slips away.
As guaranteed it always does.
One minute your 6 and the next you are sixty...

15 Comments:

Tiffany said...

Aimee, I'm so sorry. I read this and then grabbed my husband to read it to him. (He also did an internship in a drug treatment center.) Your words rang very true with him. Our thoughts are with you.

LAINA said...

I am so sorry. That is very hard. Whatever you do don't blame yourself. We can't control the decisions that others make that ultimately lead up to the events that happen and take place in their lives.

In my years in social work there was much that I wished I could do that was out of my hands.

I am sure that because of you this woman and her family were much happier than they had ever been in the time before her passing.

Focus on the boisterous laughter that you helped to create and let those tears flow. She deserves to have people cry for her passing.

Eva said...

Oh Aimee, how heartbreaking. I'm so sorry to hear her life ended too soon. At least she had some time at the end where she could truly be happy with herself thanks to the program you helped guide her through. I know it's easy to say "if I only...", but also remember to think about the good you were able to bring to her life. You're right about it being a very good reminder to appreciate all we have in this very moment right now. And since I have this moment, right now, I want you to know how amazing I think you are.

Bridget said...

I'm so sorry. How old were her kids? Where will they go?

Amanda said...

I'm so sorry for your loss and her family's loss as well. It does wonders for me to read how much you loved her; what a gift it was from you to her that you genuinely cared so much. I think you seem like a remarkable counselor an person. Wish I knew you for real.

bjahlstrom said...

Aimee, I'm sorry she didn't get more time to continue her happiness and improvement! I'm sorry this affects you, but at the same time, it's good that it affects you, because that means your lives touched each other.

hannah said...

I am sorry. So sad. What an honor that you helped her to see her true self in the last era of her life.

Carrie said...

Oh this breaks my heart! There are so many "what if's" in this situation. But I am comforted in knowing an eternal scheme of things. That she will be able to feel forgiveness and solitude, no matter how hard her life was here. No matter what her choices were. Now she can feel truth. Still, it breaks my heart for all she left behind, and all she still could have done and overcome.

jamie said...

Reading this got me a bit choked up. I bet she would be so pleased to see the wonderful things you wrote about her.

Shannon said...

Sad.

Sad for her kids.

And friends.

And you.

thanks for extra reminder to enjoy the moment and tell those we love "I love you"

There is no better therapist than you.

MAB said...

Oh Aimee, my heart aches for you and all who knew her.

Truly.

alisha said...

I'm sorry Aimee. :( What an amazing difference you were able to help her make in her life, though. It must have made all the difference in the world to her.

Emily said...

I too lost a client, totally different circumstance but still sad. Thanks for the life reminders. Too precious.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP