Dear NBC,
Friday, January 15, 2010
I wanted to write a letter and share some of my feelings with you. I speak for the people of my generation that are actually up at night watching your tv channel at the 11:35 hour.
I do, in fact, stay up and watch The Tonight Show.
Let me rephrase that.
I do, in fact, stay up and watch The Tonight Show since Conan came on 7 months ago.
And believe it or not, a couple times a week I even stay up to watch some of Jimmy Fallon.
That is why I feel I have some backing to write you this letter. I am a regular late night watcher. Or do so to the best of my staying-awake ability. (My husband has to fall asleep with the tv on so this helps in my efforts to watch late night).
I know there are much bigger things to worry about in the world right now but ruining my nightly routine by depriving me of The Conan feels pretty big to me too, to be honest. We were delighted to welcome him back in June. We've been tv friends for years. We celebrated the change. We looked forward to growing old with him in our beds at night.
Last week, my friend sent me an instant message that Conan might be kicked off. I told her she was reading too many uninformed gossip blogs. But then when I started seeing it everywhere (even on the less smutty gossip blogs) I started to worry about the sanity of your enterprise.
Why in the world would you think it would be a good idea to bring back Jay? Do you feel that the rising generation enjoys his humor?
We don't.
Honestly, we do not think he is funny. Not one bit.
We don't even think his fall back sex and porn jokes are funny. We don't like how he interviews. We don't like the way he reads the jokes that you can tell were written for him - not by him. We don't really enjoy him.
What do you have to say to our generation? What do you plan to do when the generation that actually likes him stops watching tv at that hour? What will you do then? I suppose you will kick yourself at letting a good thing go.
The first few nights of this debacle were quite fun. But last night, it just made me sad. Sad to know that I have to savor these last few, precious, wacky moments with Conan.
Rude, NBC.
Just rude.
your fallen late night watcher,
Aimee
P.S. It's not too late to change your mind. All would be forgotten after a few weeks.



8 Comments:
You are too funny. And just for the record I never read gossip magazines/blogs but the person that i sit by at work does:)
I agree...last night was sad. I am hoping that I am still initially right and it was one big scam to improve ratings!
Seriously.
You suck NBC.
(Well said, Aimee.)
Even though I am not a late night watcher, I wish I were. I am with you. Thane and I were just having this discussion last night. Don't bring back Jay, no one wants to watch him anymore, and those that do want to watch him are in bed by the late night hour.
Did you see the interview Jay did on his show with Jimmy Kimmel? Go check it out on you tube if haven't seen it yet. Watch how Jay just squirms! I'm not usually up that late, but I don't like Jay. Please bring Conan back.
I agree with Lisa. The Jimmy kimmel thing was hilarious. Jay leno is a deuche (sp?)
It has made Conan's dialogs super funny, bashing on NBC and Jay. Still not right...
Team Conan.
That Jimmy Kimmel thing was hilarious!
My favorite was "we have kids you have cars and millions of dollars...leave our shows alone!"
I was never a late night show watcher until Conan, and I did look forward to growing old with him in our beds at night too."
waaaa
Poor NBC. They are catching flack for EVERYTHING right now. Serves them right for reneging on their contract.
T'will be interesting to see what is finally decided. Put Jay in. See who does (and does not) watch him. See your ratings go down the toilet.
Eat it, NBC. Eat it.
Post a Comment