The Bell Pepper
Monday, April 5, 2010
You can blame the bell pepper for my lack of blogging as of late. According to babycenter, apparently baby Heff is now the length of a bell pepper. It was nice to have my little human compared to a vegetable rather than a fruit for once. And I believe Baby Heff is sucking the majority of my brain power. I am much more forgetful and have lacked any form of creativity in many aspects of my life. Just the beginnings of many sacrifices I suppose. Let's hope my brain power comes back after I birth this mini person.
So yeah, I am knocked up. 18 weeks now (that equals about 4 1/2 months for you all trying to figure out what 18 weeks calculates to in months). If you didn't click on the song I posted a few weeks back you probably missed it. We are just thankful that Scott is the father {wink}. I thought I would share some of the things going on with me during this pregnancy.
Disclaimer: If baby stuff bores you, or if you are having infertility struggles and want to poke my eyes out for being pregnant which I totally understand - go ahead and skip this post. I promise this blog won't become consumed with it but Shan told me it deserved its own post and I do everything she tells me.
My Midwives & Birthing Center
We decided to use the Puget Sound Midwives & Birthing Center rather than a hospital. Hospitals have always scared me BUT I am not comfortable doing a home birth (I don't even have a home of my own) so I felt this was a happy medium. So far our experiences with the midwives have been great. They spend tons of time with us at the appointment and really make me feel listened to. I appreciate this. The facility is very lovely, huge birthing tubs, close to a hospital if need be, and I feel comfortable and safe being in that space as I think about bringing my first child into this world. The lighting is good. For some reason hospital lightening makes me anxious. This was important to me. Scott feels good about the birthing center too so I am glad we are both on the same page with it.
The Birthing Plan
Everyone talks about this whole "birthing plan" thing that you are supposed to write before your labor. I have never been a "plan/goal setting" type of person - I just aim for a good outcome and things have turned out pretty well in my life. So my "plan" is just to do everything I can to get ready for the labor and go from there. Little expectations. I hope to be able to have my baby at the birthing center and that Scott is a big part of my labor. Those are my only clearly stated hopes. If that doesn't work out and I have to go to the hospital than that is ok too. I'm sure it will still be a lovely experience. Zen Birthing I call it. I hope I can stay in this space as the time gets closer.
Penis or Vagina?
Much to the dismay of my siblings (and the majority of people in the world it seems), we are going to be surprised and NOT find out the sex of the baby. When I think about going through all those hours of labor and finally having Scott tell me "It's a boy" or "It's a girl" gets me all teary. I realize me getting teary doesn't take much these days. Example: I cried watching the Ghost-like scene with Richard in Lost two weeks ago and finally got around to watching The Time Traveler's Wife, which was worse than I expected, but regardless I still cried at the end when Henry dies. I still just think that this will be the biggest surprise of my life so why not hold out for a few months and embrace the surprise?! Too much fun, right?! I don't even like baby blue and baby pink so its ok if I don't get clothes in those colors. I hope people can use their non-baby sucking brain power and be creative if they chose to give the non-gendered Baby Heff a present.
Cloth Diapers
Oh shoot, just when you thought I couldn't get hippier in this post I go and throw out the cloth diapers. We're still in the decision making process with this issue. Once I saw my friend Libbi change her daughter's cloth diaper and she made it look so easy and she loved using them. Ever since then it has been in the back of my mind that it is something I would like to do. My friend Laina just started a cloth diaper consulting company (you should check out her website out The Uncommon Bottom) and we are going to meet with her about the process. Again, nothing is decided yet but I am leaning in that direction. I would love to hear if anyone out there has had good or bad experiences with cloth diapers. Funny thing is though, most of the people I've talked to that have used cloth diapers are extreme loyalist. They love using them. Kind of like how people are about their Apple computers. This leads me to believe there is something to these cloth diapers that I need to know about. When people are loyalist there usually is a good reason for their loyalty I have found. And are these colors not adorable on little bums?
Freaks & Geeks
This has nothing to do with babies but we are watching the series (one season) and so far so good. It is subtle and doesn't over do the humor or the drama. I am digging it.
Cravings
I haven't really had any except that chocolate milk hasn't ever tasted better. So creamy and delightful. Never felt this way about chocolate milk before. Go figure?
That's all for now.
Happy April. What happened to Spring?






33 Comments:
I completely crave chocolate milk when Im pregnant!!
Cloth diapers, its all we ever use. Weve always used Mother Ease diapers and then supplemented with other etsy diapers with cute prints and cute covers. You are right...we are loyalists.
Aimee my love! I am terrible friend - I have been meaning to call you to tell you congrats! We are SO happy for you guys. Your little one is so lucky to have you guys as parents. We love you and are so happy for you! Hooray!
Yay, a baby update!! --thanks Shan!
So, I love that you are not finding out the sex. Instead of being upset, I am rather jealous. I wish I had the patience. I in no sorta way am patient, so I wish I could do what your doing and get the surprise of a life during delivery. Go you guys!
Also love the birthing center idea. And the cloth diapering, as you already know.
And spring? It snowed about 4 inches last night. Uggg.
Finally a post on babbbbbyyyy! Where is the classic pic of the baby bump? Any bump yet?
I love baby updates! Mostly because I have a smidge of baby fever so please feel free to share on my account. :-)
I will probably go the midwife way and/or birthing center or home birth if/when I have a baby. It was such an amazing experience for my sis and BIL when Finn was born that way. I give you lots of credit for not finding out the gender. My curiosity would get the better of me for sure.
I love that you just compared cloth diapers to Apple computers. Hilarious!
To the baby- Hi little pepper!
I like that you are a hippie, Aimee.
Yay for you! Congrats. I think your go-with-the-flow plan is key. And even though I've been talking about birth plans on the blog this week...I think that will be my main focus as well. Good luck and happy days ahead for you! :)
For me the brain cells just keep depleting, hope yours come back soon!
LOVE freaks and geeks! My favorite characters are lindsey's parents, and really, who can resist Nick and his drums. Enjoy!
Congratulations! So happy for you two!
Devin was so afraid of my lack of memory when prego he just shutters thinking about it, and I just laugh and say it's kind of nice to have an excuse!
My only experience with clothe diapers is that they were all I could wear as a baby. My diaper rash was apparently so bad that cloth diapers with the diaper service was all my mom could do.
I however have chosen to kill the earth by using good old huggies, but I do recycle and have reuseable bag for grocery shopping at least I try.
FINALLY. (thanks Shan!)
You are sweet to worry about offending/annoying other people but you need to post about that little pepper SOMETIMES!!! Next I want a pic :)
We have a couple cloth diapers- we just use them at home because I am not brave/willing to use them out on the go and tote the dirty ones around! So I guess I am not a loyalist, but I do think they are super easy to use and it makes me feel slightly better about the Earth and saves a few bucks too. Win-win.
Can't wait for the next baby post (or just post :) )
People always equate being a hippie as something bad. I like being a hippie.
Anyway, thanks for giving a shout out to my website.
Also, I love that you are using a birthing center and was too much of a wuse and needed to have drugs available.
As for not finding out, I tried to go that route, thought it would be run, but Thane really wanted to know. Maybe I can convince him with our next child.
Continue on the hippie train please! When I start feeling like I'm the biggest hippie I know, it is a sad state of affairs indeed. Mostly because I'm not even as granola as I used to be. But, if there ever is a Bardsley #4, I would go with cloth diapers for sure. They have come such a long way since even Mia was born.
I know I've said this before, but I just get so happy when I think about you guys becoming 3. :)
See everyone loves it that you do what I tell you to do! Continue listening to your older sister {that's me}
Also, just to clarify it is much to my dismay that you are not finding out the gender, but mostly because I kinda would like to but couldn't wait! I agree it will be fun for you and Scott to find out at birth...BUT if you do end up changing you mind I'm the first in line at that ultrasound!
Three Cheers for Baby Heff!
I am sending you an email because any comments I write will be way to long...
But just to say:
-love the birthing center idea
-love your birthplan
-love cloth diapers for so many reasons
-love hippie parenting
I don't think I could do it ... Not find out the sex. Also, never heard a bad thing about the cloth diaper. I have never used them. Those new born diapers can be messy and I don't like the though of having to clean a diaper after that.
Also. I think you guys are going to be the best parents.
Yahoo for chocolate milk! Yeah for the lil pepper!
Also, I wouldn't say you're a hippie. Just a Seattleite :)
Yay! Congrats!
Aimee I am so excited for you and Scott! When are you due? I forgot. Are you starting to show?
This was so fun to read about. :) Love your little Bell Pepper.
Congratulations - it is great to finally read a post about the baby! You know I love the birthing center and cloth diaper. You will not be hippy enough though until you agree to the commune idea!
Here comes the passionate doula comment!....
In regards to the birthing plan, it is probably unnecessary for you to need one as you a birthing in a center that respects and supports your birthing desires. However, with that said birthing plans are a great thing if they are kept simple and clear, especially is someone is having a hospital birth. It is important to let health care providers know what you hope for in your birthing experience , and then everyone can support and encourage that as much as possible.
They are also a great way to let every woman know all of their birthing options and that they do have a CHOICE about everything!
Enough said i think! hahahahaha
LOVE YOU LOTS!!! can't wait to see you soon.
I know you were trying to find a nickname for your little, "it." Bell is awfully feminine, but how about Pepper? It can really go either way. I am so excited to meet your Bell Pepper. I agree with Shan in that we support your decision not to find out the sex. Deep down you know I think it will be so fun. The selfish part of me just wants to start dreaming.
What a great post! Definitey deserving of it's own! I have to say that I'm SO HAPPY to hear that you two are going to be surprised with the gender! It's so worth it! That moment between you and your hubby and your baby, SO, SO priceless! I just think there are very few surprises in life! Congrats again!
I actually threw up after the time traveler's wife. well, not really, but it was even worser worse than I expected:)
I love this post. I have never had the guts to not know if it's a boy or a girl, but since I have both now, I might be up to the challenge next time.
oh happy baby!
I'm so happy that you chose the PSBC! I love it there. I have birthed 3 babies with them and will never go back to the hospital if I can help it. My first was a hospital birth and I had a birthing plan. It took my husband and I A LOT of effort to follow it. I wanted drug-free. They were pushing drugs at every opportunity. Tymon finally had it at one point and strongly told the nurse to quit offering them. I'm pretty sure he wasn't polite about it. We were tired of trying to be nice. Ugh!
Who's your midwife? Heike is the best best best EVER. I just found out a couple weeks ago that she delivered a girl in my oldest son's class at school. The girl has down's, so even if there is a complication to the birth, Heike is experienced and knows how to handle it. I've also heard good things about Ali and Valerie. But I don't know them personally.
Second, just as many cloth diaper-ers are loyalists, I am loyal to Huggies. I must admit that a Huggies bum is not near as cut as blossom or butternut colored one.
What's the best part about Huggies? When you've changed it, you don't have to deal with the diaper, rinse it or wash it. It just goes in the trash. I've been through 5 diapered bums in the last 6.5 years, I don't need any more "extra" poop in my life.
I don't believe there is actually a money saving issue at stake here. Start up costs are huge with cloth diapers and then you have to add in the time, detergent and water cost to the cloth diaper investment, too. We've always been able to fit our garbage/diapers into the weekly garbage can, so it's not like you'll be paying for extra garbage service if you go with disposable.
And, increasing the amount of excrement in solid-waste facilities isn't "environmentally-friendly" either. Did you know their are SCUBA people who have to dive in poop lakes and unclog filters, etc. It's pretty much one of the most disgusting jobs, ever.
You can also do the diaper-free method. I think you can start that as soon as the baby can sit up on their own. I haven't tried it but did read about it several years ago. Actually, when it came time to potty train #3, we did a diaper-free method. But he was 2 and a half at that point in time.
I am SO INCREDIBLY excited for you, my friend. You will make the best mom EVER. Can't wait to share this road of motherhood with you by my side.
Love you!!!
Aimee can I just say, I love your blog, it's like a touch of spring and a bit of a getaway for me. Congrats on your prego ego!
Thought I spend some of my free by paying your virtual house a visit. It's so much prettier in person rather than by reader. I have loved the cloth diapering...HOWEVER...I remember thinking, when Sam was a baby have all sorts of blow outs, that I was glad I wouldn't have to wash them. Now another however, I didn't know what I didn't know and I think the key is setting up shop so you are prepared with the right tools so you can successful cloth it up. Your birthing center looks awesome and amazing and all things birthy. Can't wait to hear about your experience.
Mar and I used cloth diapers (through a diaper service) ... how many years ago!!!??? Disposable diapers were just out and they were leaky (and very expensive). We liked cloth for lots of reasons.
congrats! that is so exciting! i'm anxious to hear how your experience at the birthing center goes. i always enjoyed working with the midwives at my clinic better than the ob's. . . so does this mean you'll be going au natural? no epideral? if you do, then major props to you! that was my plan. no drugs. then i got my membrane stripped (ouch) and i started having doubts. then i had my first real contraction and my mind changed in that very instant. after nine months of planning on sans drugs, i said bring 'em on! and for me it worked. i'm happy i had them. but anyway, that's probably tmi and however you do it, i just hope you're happy and that it's right for you!
anyway. we watched freaks and geeks while i was pregnant also. i loved it :)
and those cloth diapers are very cute . . . if only the stuff on the inside came out just as cute! and ps. even though i don't really know you i have a feeling that you are going to be the funnest mom ever!!!
OMG!!! I just heard your news from my mom (or was it aunt Care?) I am so so so so so so excited for you!!!!! You are going to be one amazing mother! (not to mention an adorable pregnant lady!) Enjoy every wonderful, awful, miraculous part of pregnancy! I love you!
We have soooo.... much to talk about! I use cloth diapers - yep they are great and sometimes not so great! Green, cheaper, healthier, and vintage. But, I'm not going to lie, they are definately not easier, more convenient, and less messy or smelly!
We can catch up in better detail later!
I hope you are feeling great and enjoying that sweet little person inside....it won't be long!
Love ya,
Katie Sue
Post a Comment