Four.
Wednesday, August 11, 2010
photo by scott
Today Scott and I have been married for 4 years.
That is 1,460 days.
As I contemplated these years over my Benihana's Rocky's Choice Hibachi Steak & Chicken dinner tonight, I couldn't help but feel a little melancholy in thinking about how the "us" is going to be redefined quicker than I can try and tightly hold on before it slips away from me.
I have plenty of therapeutic training and observed enough marriages post-baby to know that things will inevitably change. {sigh}
So I savor...
Each easy-going Saturday morning together.
Every spontaneous night out with friends.
Weekend trips sans car seats or diaper bags.
Last minute movie nights.
Sex. (just kidding. hopefully.)
The pick-up-and-go, fly-by-the-seat-of-our-pants kind of days together.
The last few moments of just Aimee & Scott.
Us.
The couple.
This is not to minimize the joy and excitement this next phase will bring. I know my joy will be multiplied.
But...
I am ritualizing and slowing down the ending of this precious, foundational chapter in The Story of Us.
Is it a sin to feel a little grief in its departure?
Genuinely happy 4 years together, Scotty.
Thank you.
Now we're off to Portland to honor and celebrate this long-awaited wedding!



12 Comments:
You guys couldn't be cuter. And I think you're smart, smart, smart to acknowledge the changes and the grief and savor what you have now. You will have plenty of time to savor the wonderful new Story that is coming.
You are a wise woman. And therefore will be a fabulous mommy. Congrats on 4!
Happy Anniverary, Aimee and Scott. Love you guys.
We were married 4 years before we had kids... sigh.
We are so much more now than we ever were alone... but the stress of kids changes things, as you know. Growing pains.
But, watching your husband hold a sleeping baby... so sexy. And both of you going in and watching them sleep at night and having a kind of "I can't believe we made that amazing person" moment together, over and over, priceless.
You are wise to savor the last moments. You will make every change and adjustment amazing. That's just who you are.
I love this post. I've thought the same thing for when we have kids...I imagine that saying goodbye to 'us' will be sort of tough transition, but wonderful as well.
Happy Anniversary!
Please pass along my congratulations to Rushie.
Wow has it really been 4 years? It seems like yesterday you were falling in love on the couch on the deck of the Hermosa house! aaahhhhhh....... beautiful couple!
Congrats.
I remember that feeling well! We now refer to our time pre Pearl and Tasman as "back when we were single". Presently we are trying to figure how to have a romantic night out for our 5 year anniversary with a 6 week old that needs to be breastfed! Happy Anniversary! Please send my love to the newlyweds.
C
You two are a great couple. You can see it when you're around you and how you talk about him. It makes me feel hopeful!
I think it's human to feel some grief for the shift in the relationship that is inevitable when two become three. Actually, I think it's smart to honor that change. The thing I see most post-baby is relationships losing the focus on the couple and the individual. It's a lot to juggle but you two are aware enough to pay attention to that.
Happy anniversary! Have fun in PDX.
Holy cow, I love you guys-- you are so stinking cute! Happy happy anniversary.
You say everything so wonderfully and insightfully Aimee.
Hope it's a great time in Portland. Looking forward to seeing you guys soon!
Happy (belated) Anniversary!
My goodness DO savor all of those things. Want to know a little secret? I miss the just 'us'. I miss all those things you listed! I miss worry free sleep and date nights. (I know they will return someday but I miss them still.)
However, this little baby that entered our lives 2.5 weeks ago has made us feel such heart exploding love. And joy! And purpose. And, on top if it she has made me love my husband more than I ever thought possible. I can hardly stand how much love I feel for that man every time I look at him.
So please enjoy your last few free days for me. :) But some serious awesomeness awaits you. Can't wait to see your little babe soon!
I Love your belly pics, Love your sporty new car, and I LOVE your 4 years!!!
Post a Comment