Birth Story by Numbers

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Cash Hartman Heffernan
Born: September 18th @ 1:15am
9 lbs 12 oz
35 hours of labor

Cash is King at the Heffernan house. Since time is limited I thought I would do a quick play-by-play of the epic labor and write up an official birth story later when we have the routine down and life settles a bit.

Here is our birth story by numbers...


42 total weeks of waiting for this little one to join the world.   
1.5 weeks of extreme impatience in waiting on my part.  Cranky is an understatement.
5.9 was the fluid level on Tuesday when the ultrasound doctor encouraged induction.
8 oz of castor oil prescribed by the midwife to help induction on Wednesday.
2 hours induction massage gets mild contractions going.
1 whole roll of toilet paper used in less than 24 hours due to the castor oil. If I ever need to be "cleaned out" I will know exactly where to look. Not pretty. Not. Pretty. At. All. (Ok, I'll just tell you. I totally shit my pants one time. It would give no warning!)
1:40 pm Thursday - Midwife Heike breaks my water.
24 hour clock starts to tick to give birth at the birthing center or I must check into a hospital. "Oh we got this," I think.
3 pm - Contractions start. 
11 hours before my contractions get to 4 minutes apart.
4 am - Meet midwife at birthing center where the room welcomes me with low lights and candles. Dreamy place to give birth.


Cervix doesn't move past 7 cm for 6 hours.  Contractions slow down as my mental stamina takes a beating.
All signs point the hospital to make the 24 hour cut off. Off to the UW Nurse Midwives we go.


20 minutes of tears to Scott on the drive to Kirkland to UW not because I couldn't birth at the birthing center but because I don't know if I have it in me to go on.

  
2 hours to decide I am to mentally afraid of the pain the pitocin will bring and want an epidural. 
45 minutes it takes the anesthesiologist to get the needle right for the epidural.  
7 pokes in the back all while hunched in the epidural position and having contractions. Someone please shoot me now. Monster bruising.
4 minutes for the spinal block to kick in and make me feel like a whole new woman. Laughing returns when Lisa informs everyone that my Doppelgänger is Oprah?

  
4 pm the picotin starts. That is 25 hours of contractions w/out meds. If I am not dead from the first shot from before, please finish me off now.
30 minutes of watching my family eat the yummiest looking pizza in the labor room. Everyone was hungry and had really stuck with me through this all! I was so happy they were eating but the pizza looked really good. Hungry and really tired at this point.
8.75 hours of pumping pitocin, waiting, and readjusting those dang baby heart monitors. My team stays strong for me and keeps me positive.


12:45 am - Aimee loses it and Scott, Shannon, Meghan and David are all there to witness the breakdown. I can't go on. I am trapped in this hospital bed and the nightmare keeps getting worse. This must end or I will cut the baby out myself.
12:52 am - Nurse gets the midwife because she can obviously tell she is not dealing with a sane pregnant woman anymore. With the strength of the contractions there is no reason I should be still at 7 cm so there must be something more going on inside with the baby. She recommends c-section. Hooray! They couldn't get me on the table quick enough! I am overjoyed to see the end. The "prize" that I have been waiting for 33.5 hours. I had started to believe there that there really was never going to be an end to this.
1:00 am - They wheel me into the OR to get prepped. Scott gets his awesome OR outfit and hat on and looks sexy as ever for our new child. I am all smiles as they wash my belly for surgery. I let everyone know that Scott is the one to tell me the sex and I don't want anyone blurting it out after I've waited this long (I said it nicer than that though). The c-section epidural shakes begin.
15 minutes of baby surgery. The shortest 15 minutes of this whole experience. So easy!
Timeless moment when they told Scott he could look up and see them holding the baby and I saw his eyes light up, tear up, and watched the birth of our baby boy through his eyes.  
*** Best moment of the whole gut wrenching experience. ***
1 second before I started crying. He comes down close to my face, with tears in eyes to tell me we have a son. More tears.
1 snip of the ambilical cord.
Baby weighs in at 9 lbs 12 oz. Oh boy, oh boy! 
7 cm shaped yamika-like cone on top of Cash's head. He was trying to get out but got a little stuck. I decided he wasn't grounded anymore since it wasn't technically his fault.
2 minutes before the room gets a little intense.
10 times I hear the words blood loss, uterus not contracting, blood transfusion. Ahhh what the cuss? THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE END. How does this nightmare keep getting worse?
45 minutes of finding my Zen place or I am going to FREAK OUT. "Stay calm, Aimee. Stay calm." Can't look too long at Scott or I am going to lose it. Can't look at my baby because it is all I can do to stay focused on not totally breaking down. Scott loses it when he goes to tell my awesome support team that baby Heff is a boy and there is something wrong with me.
4 times I puked red jello while they were doing who knows what to my body. Might have a hard time eating jello for a while.
10 minutes of distracting my thoughts away from the idea that if something is in fact wrong with my uterus maybe it means I will never be able to have children again and someday I know I will have to deal with that grief if it were so.
90 minutes before they can get my uterus contracting again and sew me up. 
2:30 am - Cash is finally placed in my arms and I am wheeled and welcomed back with tears from my family in the labor room.



A weekend of tears as I think back on the crazy, emotional, mental, physically, and spiritually exhausting week I had waiting for and delivering Cash - the freaking cutest baby of all time.


All in all, it was the hardest condensed experience of my entire life. My blood loss was less worrisome than they initially thought. I lost a little over 1 liter which is about the same amount as a vaginal birth. After many attempts to get my tired uterus contracting again with meds, their hands, and other measures, they were able to fold it in half and tie it together with suture material and it eventually contracted by itself. Our bodies are amazing. Thank heavens for modern medicine also. They believe I will be fine to have children again which is far from my mind at this point in time {wink} but am relieved to know that all the plumbing is back in its functional positions and that is not a worry for now.

Cash is amazing. Because he is huge and his head is strong, after he feeds and I am burping him he lifts his bobble head and does this face that looks like a glow worm. It melts me every time I see it and makes it easier for me to love him when he is freaking out, crying inconsolably and can't calm down at 2am in the morning.

Parenthood indeed comes with all kinds of mixed emotions.
I have never felt love like this before.
I have never felt fear like this before.
I have never felt so blessed in my whole entire life.

More to come, friends... I have got a baby to feed.

33 Comments:

Jamie said...

amazing!! I am so glad that everyone ended up so healthy!! He is such a big boy!! Can't wait to meet him! Congrats again!!

Anonymous said...

holy FUCK.

i'm sorry, people, but that is the best way to sum it up.

i am SO glad you + baby are okay.

i don't ever want to live in a world without you in it.

that sounds dramatic but it's true and also true to my personality type. just reading this made me teary.

thank GOD for you, your bundle of wonders, and your mansome husband.

i am agnostic for a reason but this gives me hope.

love you!

Brooke and Matt: said...

Wow Aimee. What a birth story. I'm so happy you and baby Cash are safe and happy. You are so strong! We love you so much!

bjahlstrom said...

I love his hair! I love his nubby nose! I can't wait to meet him...hopefully soon...someday. I love you, Aimee, and you are so strong. My love to Scott, too.

jamie said...

well, your birth story tops the list of craziness!
Amazing. When scott posted on facebook you were in labor we were on our way out of town, then when we got back I checked facebook again to see if it was a boy or girl...and HELLO! you were still in labor!

I am so happy for you guys. What a handsome little man! Love the star blanket in the pic:)

Shannon said...

Aimee, never do that to me again, ok?

Ok.

I love you Aim.

Cash, I love you!

Aunt Shanny

Sizzle said...

And I thought Meghan's birthing story was trauma-inducing! (Still is.) Way to power through. I bow to your will and strength. I knew you were amazing but HOLY CRAP WOMAN!

Can't wait to meet Cash. So happy for you all.

xoxo

Allison said...

congratulations! you've made me cry:) enjoy every minute.

Lacey Jane said...

Wow- I cannot believe how much you went through! So happy you and baby are recovering! Cash is adorable.

Jeff, Erin, Macy, Owen& June said...

Congrat-a-freakin-lations!!!!! I am sooooo excited for you guys and so happy that it all turned out ok!

Kristin said...

Aimee that is one amazing birth story and Cash came in to this world making an eternal emotional imprint on you from the beginning. I loved sharing in your experience one number at a time and teared up once it got to the Scott part....I love following this journey of yours!

Lacey Jane said...

P.S. I just noticed his middle name- what a sweet, sweet tribute!

Tiffany said...

How amazingly exhausting and scary, but what a gorgeous baby. So glad you are both well and thriving. Enjoy the ride; it's amazing.

Eric and Katie said...

Aimee!!! You are superwoman! I need a nap after reading that birthing story. How exhausting. I'm so glad everyone is doing well. Cash is darling! We love you guys!

Jeni Angel said...

Wow. You are a far stronger woman than I. This brought tears to my eyes. I am so happy for you and Scott! Cash is adorable!

Ambur said...

Wow I Cant believe what you went through. I am so glad that everyone is doing good. Hang in there. I love you. Tell Scott Congrats too. I cant wait to meet your little one.

Andrea Mouritsen said...

Damn those first births just not going the way we plan! I'm so glad he made it here and you are both safe and sound. You look great and he is DARLING and perfect! Congrats!

Fasterkj@yahoo.com said...

I was going to say the "F"word but, somebody beat me to it! Such an amazing story! We love you, cant wait
to meet little Cash! ps thanks for making me LMAO!! I love your blog so much! CONGRATS AGAIN! love kj

Marit said...

What a BEAUTIFUL story you told, Aimee! Cash is breathtaking...and I was in tears reading your birthing story. Babies are just wonderful little creatures and he'll melt your heart 100 different ways every single day!
Enjoy...

hannah said...

Cried when you told me.
Cried when i read it.

Funny how something so dramatic, traumatic, stressful, painful and exhausting can be totally worth it!

Love the little Heff family.

naptime nostalgia said...

Thanks for sharing your birth story Aim. I went through almost the exact same thing with my first, only he was 10 pounds. C-section recovery isn't very fun, so take it easy, and accept any help anyone offers. You are a champ, and that Cash is adorable.

alisha said...

Oh Aimee - he is adorable! I cannot imagine going through all of that. Congratulations on your beautiful boy. I love the name Cash.

Shannon said...

Love the new pictures you posted!

Lisa said...

I haven't made it through a day since Cash was born without crying about your birth story. Now reading I cried all over again. What a journey. Thanks for letting me share your experience and your life.

Love your Big Sis!

P.S. I can't wait to read Shan's post on this. Having a front row seat and feeling helpless was one of the most difficult things I've ever experienced.

LAINA said...

You are a strong strong woman. I am glad you are fine, Cash is fine. Our bodies are amazing. Our children are amazing. Life is amazing. It is amazing how awesomely we are blessed in our lives.

Sara said...

Wow, Aimee! I'm so happy it all turned out good in the end. Must've been scary for a while. I love the pictures.

(P.S. Is Scott's tattoo new? I've never noticed it before. )

Jules said...

Holy crap. I technically have never met you and was just a friend of Scott and Devin's, but I teared up reading your story and seeing your pictures. Congrats on the new addition, he is precious and you have such a sweet lil family!

Cicely said...

Amy- This sounds entirely lame, but you have a gift for blogging.

Your story was so intense that my 3 year old just came up to me and asked me why I am making such a "sad crying sound."

I can't wait to meet Cash.

AOKI CIRCUS said...

Aimee - Congrats! You have quite a birth story. Cash looks adorable! Enjoy every moment because he will grow up...and then who knows what he'll think of! :)

LSL said...

I cried when I read this, too. So glad you are all ok and finally together :) Sending lots of love.

Michelle Geddes said...

Thanks for sharing the story. I'm so sorry that it went down that way. I'm all about the drugs, you know that. I'm glad you got a little relief in there. So glad that everyone's OK. Can't wait to see you guys again and meet that little rascal!

Wendi Bench said...

He is beautiful....congrats seems like the wrong salutation...how about Wow I can't believe it. You give me even more reason to be thankful for our amazing birth mother. I won't take for granted her birthing our baby...even if it did only take 8 hours and she had two epidurals...you are a rock star! Lets get these two babes together for a date shall we. Great work! XOXO

Bridget said...

Wow. I hope you never have to go through this again. Incredible. Terrible. Traumatic. Next time, will you just schedule the c-section in the beginning? Cash was HUGE.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP