Open Letters: An Ode to My Last Hours/Days of Pregnancy

Friday, September 3, 2010

Dear Shoes in My Closet, 

I have day dreams of sliding my tiny feet inside your closed-toed goodness. Throwing my only fitting brown flip flops into the ocean post pregnancy.

Wishing for a quick and speedy deflation,

Sausage Feet & Toes

P.S. Same goes for you wedding ring.

• • •

Dear Stretch Marks on My Belly,

I am still going back and forth whether I would've genetically wanted a pukey 1st trimester or you.

The jury is still out when I look in the mirror.

Working on acceptance,

Tummy Flames

• • •

Dear Boppy Wedge Pillow Given to Me By Brianne,


You have been a lifesaver. I had no idea that a pregnant belly fights against gravity and does not lay sweetly on the bed but just protrudes forward. Not comfy.

Be Bop,

Side-Sleepin' Dreamer

• • •

Dear Broiler Bay in Bellevue

Thank you for tasting so greasy and good and reminding me of Crown Burger in Salt Lake City. We love your complete ghetto-ness. And Scott couldn't be more pleased with your abundance of fry sauce.

Your creamy black raspberry shake and solid iron-filled hamburgers made my baby happy.

You beat Red Mill in my personal opinion and have a waaaaay shorter line,

Always Love Me A Good Burger Joint

• • •

Dear Sweet Vietnamese Pedicure Artist, 

Thank you for upselling me in my fragile and vulnerable state and offering me 10 more minutes of a foot massage for $10 bucks.  How was I supposed to pass you up when I was putty in your lotioned hands?

Best $1 per minute I've ever spent on myself,

Light Blue Toes for Labor

• • •

Dear Pack of 96-Count Maxi Pads I Grudgingly Bought At Costco,

I haven't had your acquaintance since my very first period at the age of 12. Remember we hated each other and we decided to never be friends again?

Dreading the post-labor fallouts,

Tampons Forever

• • •

Dear Maternity Jeans,

Why don't they make normal non-maternity jeans with a lovely flexible waistband like yours? So much more comfortable with our changing waist size throughout the day and women would feel so much better about themselves and want to buy you and not fear putting on their jeans.

Someone jump on that shit,

Full of Million Dollar Ideas :)

• • •

Due date is tomorrow, friends! (But family genes predict an overcooked baby so maybe we won't be meeting the little one until 7-10 more days. Ugh).

Any last minute birthing advice? 

13 Comments:

Sizzle said...

Can you PLEASE remind me about the boppy wedge pillow when I get pregnant? Because I am a side sleeper and will need it.

Since I already have stretch marks maybe I will just get more stretch marks and skip the pukes? I'm ok with it. (I do not like puking. But then again, who does?)

I am so excited for you and Scott and the baby to come. Thinking good, easy birth thoughts for you. You're going to do GREAT!

melanie said...

We are going to try out that burger joint tonight - can't wait I love a good burger. Thanks for the rec.

I'm glad you thought about a good toe color for labor I did the same.

I am sending patient vibes your way as the last days are winding down. Keep it real and just roll with it - You'll do great!

Lisa H. said...

this post is pure amazingness.

maxi pads...grodey! to the max(i)!

hope s/he comes soon! can't wait for the updates!

Eva said...

So glad you had the insight to buy those pads now! You are so much more well informed than I was. I had to send Rik to the drug store the day we got home from the hospital.

"Tampons forever!" made me laugh out loud.

As for advice, just keep reminding yourself of your own: "I do not fear it".

I'll be thinking about you every day until that baby is born! You've got this.

Lacey Jane said...

How exciting for you! Sleep, sleep, sleep while you can!

Oh- and I got a pedicure AND a leg massage on my due date- and, I'm pretty sure it helped put me into labor...!

Good luck, friend!

Jeni Angel said...

BROILER BAY!! We love that place. Whenever we are having a rough day, we know we're having broiler bay for lunch.

I am so excited for you!

naptime nostalgia said...

"someone jump on that shit". Classic. Made me laugh. And crown burger? Yum.

I will be sending you lots of baby-get-here-quick vibes.

xxx

Team Jackpot said...

Aimeeeeee!

I love this post! You are the cutest eva'.

first of all screw due dates! - this is such patriarchal b.s. to make women feel crazy when the date passes and they still don't have a human baby in their arms yet.

second they do have maternity style stretch in pants now they are jeans and leggings in one. They call em' Jeggings or Leans.... loves it!

and love you, Scotty, and the bump in your belly.

PEACE
just peace
Sarah

bjahlstrom said...

I'm just plain excited for you. I have a feeling you are going to do so well...present, in the moment, very zen...at the birthing center. I love you, cuz.

Schoolcraft Stuff said...

I just love you. I love the way you say things and I identify with so many of your thoughts. Good stuff. You are going to be such an amazing Mama! Even though it's near impossible, try to enjoy the days even when you're over due. Marigold waited an extra five and came out super strong and ready. You've totally got this girl!

PS - Bought that same 96 pack of suck at costo. You'll need it. Lame but worth it.

jamie said...

I am very excited for you! Dieing to know if its a boy or girl. Maybe you will go into labor in like 5 minutes.
We did dinner with the chipmans the other night and got into a very heated conversation about baby names.
Wish you could have been there.

P.S
"Tampons forever" made me alone laugh out loud.

Camiguin Piper Foster said...

Aimee, as usual you do a beautiful job of saying what all pregnant and first time moms are thinking! Remember the mantra about all the woman who have birthed before you...it really helped me get through. Know I am here for you as a friend who has watched her due date pass her by twice now:)

MAB said...

Tampons Forever!

Oh, thank you for the laugh.


Here's hoping for a small head.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP