Help for Japanese Children: Quiet Books

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Many of you know that I served an LDS mission in Sendai from Oct 2001-April 2003. My father also served a mission in Japan 30 + years before me. We both have a deep love for the people, country, and church members in Japan. The night of the tsunami Scott and I had the news on and I looked up from my computer and said to Scott, "Are these clips of the tsunami in Indonesia?" Right after I said that I saw my phone ringing. It was my dad who proceeded to tell me the images I was seeing were in Sendai.

I couldn't believe it.

I know everyone around the world is heartbroken when they see the devastation of the earthquake and tsunami. It is truly unbelievable.

Creative Help Wanted for the Japanese Kids
I have had tons of friends email/FB/call me to see if I know of anything that can be done for the people there. I have been in contact with my mission President's wife. They are living in Japan right now as he is the Director of Public Affairs for the church over there and have a direct contact with the people that have been hit the hardest in the Tohoku area.

She is hoping to get a large number of QUIET BOOKS for the children who have lost many of their own books from the tsunami. (Samples of quiet books here and here and here is a whole blog dedicated to quiet books). There are all kinds of pages one could include: buttons, zippers, snaps, clothes to pin on a line, animals, laces, bow ties... the list goes on and on.


If you are looking for some way beside sending money to the Red Cross or Humanitarian Fund here is your chance! If you are interested or if you know someone super crafty that would want to do one of these by themselves or with a group please contact me at aimeesmixtape @ gmail dot com. Feel free to share in your Reader or on FB to see if anyone else would want to participate.

Thanks!

2 Comments:

rc said...

I would totally make one with you. I didn't realize this was so close to missionary home for you.

Mother Nature is a powerful broad. It's overwhelming.

I hope everyone in the Pacific NW has a little earthquake kit and some level of preparedness. We're overdue for some devastation.

Makes me think Buddhists are really on to something with living in the moment.

Ohmmmm.

Carrie said...

I posted this on my blog and I am excited to get a group together!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP