My Mother Did This For Me

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Loved reading this excerpt from Tina Fey's new book where she is writing to God about her daughter: 

And should she choose to be a Mother one day, be my eyes, Lord, that I may see her, lying on a blanket on the floor at 4:50 A.M., all-at-once exhausted, bored, and in love with the little creature whose poop is leaking up its back. “My mother did this for me once,” she will realize as she cleans feces off her baby’s neck. “My mother did this for me.” And the delayed gratitude will wash over her as it does each generation and she will make a Mental Note to call me. And she will forget. But I’ll know, because I peeped it with Your God eyes.
found here.
I thought I knew, but I just had no idea how much my mom loved me.
And Dad.
Thank you parents.
I think I get it now.
Taken on Scott iPhone before he left for work one morning. His text with attached picture to me said: Sorry I didn't say goodbye. Didn't want to risk waking Cashy up. Love you both!








15 Comments:

melanie said...

true that sister. never before have i felt the parallel love like i do now being a parent. and to think we only know a fraction of the real deal cause our babies are still so little.

naptime nostalgia said...

loving Tina's new book. Makes me laugh out loud.


and that is the cutest picture ever!

Carrie said...

Oh I love this! And I am dying to read the book..I just have to avoid looking at the dreadful cover;)

LAINA said...

Love it! I am purchasing her book today. Can't wait to read it.

Humanist mom said...

That picture is precious, I love it :)

Eric and Katie said...

What a sweet picture! Love it and love you!

Shannon said...

yes thanks mom!

and i loved this post.

and i love you

and cash

and scott too.

rc said...

Tina Fey is a comic genius.

I love Cash's hands in that picture.

Tuckered out extroverts.

Schoolcraft Stuff said...

This is the best ever. I've had that moment and thought about Marigold having it someday too. Powerful beautiful stuff. That picture makes me cry.

PS - Your son is sleeping like that right now:)

bjahlstrom said...

Scott is sweet. You know, sometimes it still hits me, "Aimee has a BABY now!" I mean, what?! You're a mom!

MAB said...

That is a picture you're going to cherish forever, in all it's iPhone-quality glory.

So sweet. Oh, I love Tina Fey.

BTW, are you reading that book? I can't wait until I get to sit down and read it, preferably in Amsterdam so I can feel a great connection to Tina in that we are both Americans.

Sara said...

Great post! And beautiful picture.

Lisa said...

I'm going to have to pick up Tina's book. I loved the picture of you two. I have a couple with Cole like that and I'm embarrassed and in love with the pictures at the same time.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP