MS Walk 2011
Sunday, April 3, 2011
This morning Carrie, Cash and I walked (and strollered) for our husband, Grandma Wheels, and mom. It was a chilly morning but raised a bunch of mulah to destroy MS. We hate it, you see. MS that is. Not the walk. We love the walk. MS just isn't our friend. Double bird to MS.
I was part of the Mover Hoovers team which was championed by my wonderful supervisor Marcia (the one in yellow) who has really got me connected in helping the MS Society in this area. Now I have a good handful of clients I work with who have MS and get to do a bunch of speaking engagements, a workshop at the MS Kids Camp every year, and work on planning committees for other events.
I was AMAZED with how many of my friends donated to my walk. Honestly, I was not even expecting to raise more than the $25 I donated to myself and then when I threw it up on FB I ended up raising almost $500!! I am really lame at asking for money. It goes all the way back into my childhood. When I was in elementary and we were supposed to do those drives where you sold wrapping paper or cookies or whatever it was that year. I was never even close to winning the big trip to Disneyland for the winner. I actually never sold anything and the forms would just get left in my bag until they got to wrinkly and I had to throw them away. I can blame my hippie, non-capitalistic parents who wouldn't let us collect money when we sold lemonade at our lemonade stands (Shan's explains here). Our sign would read, "Free Lemonade." We were busy and gave away lots of lemonade.
Oh, hippies.
Anyway... I was SHOCKED that so many friends donated for my mom but I am so so so grateful and I would like to give a heart-felt, genuine thank you to the people below. Thank you for letting me ask for money that went to more than just wrapping paper! Good karma is coming your way.
I was part of the Mover Hoovers team which was championed by my wonderful supervisor Marcia (the one in yellow) who has really got me connected in helping the MS Society in this area. Now I have a good handful of clients I work with who have MS and get to do a bunch of speaking engagements, a workshop at the MS Kids Camp every year, and work on planning committees for other events.
I was AMAZED with how many of my friends donated to my walk. Honestly, I was not even expecting to raise more than the $25 I donated to myself and then when I threw it up on FB I ended up raising almost $500!! I am really lame at asking for money. It goes all the way back into my childhood. When I was in elementary and we were supposed to do those drives where you sold wrapping paper or cookies or whatever it was that year. I was never even close to winning the big trip to Disneyland for the winner. I actually never sold anything and the forms would just get left in my bag until they got to wrinkly and I had to throw them away. I can blame my hippie, non-capitalistic parents who wouldn't let us collect money when we sold lemonade at our lemonade stands (Shan's explains here). Our sign would read, "Free Lemonade." We were busy and gave away lots of lemonade.
Oh, hippies.
Anyway... I was SHOCKED that so many friends donated for my mom but I am so so so grateful and I would like to give a heart-felt, genuine thank you to the people below. Thank you for letting me ask for money that went to more than just wrapping paper! Good karma is coming your way.





3 Comments:
I wish I had known- I would have donated! I know this disease has impacted your life and I think it is great you get out there and support the organizations that are trying to help those with MS.
Next time will you send an eblast so those of us who aren't on FB that much will get a chance to pitch in?
:-)
Hey Ty and I wanted to donate too! Is it too late, I'm sure not?!
Thanks for walking for us!
I want to donate too! You should have posted something on your blog for your non-facebook friends. :)
I heard about the walk and wondered if you had done it. Love your shoes too!
I was horrible at those fundraisers too. What an awful thing to put some kids through. And I've totally tried to get my kids to do the free lemonade stand, or at least donate it to charity, despite my best hippie efforts. It's good for me to have to love those little capitalists though. ;)
Post a Comment