The Ending of An Era

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

What do these two people have in common?
Mr. Lee White and Oprah Winfrey will both end their run of 25 years doing their passion this week. 

Have you heard that Oprah's last show was today? 
If not, are you living on the plant earth? 

Perhaps an only slightly less advertised finale is that of my father's who will conclude his 25 years of amazing, dedicated service at AARP this week. 

{insert misty eyes and lump in the throat here}

It is a bittersweet ending for all of us. AARP has been a huge player in our family and has allowed us many wonderful opportunities. It has been there nearly all my life. When my dad was making the decision to leave he truly grieved the ending of this chapter like it was an old friend (there were lots of tears and heartbreak, people). He put his whole being into that organized and loved, loved, loved working there. I am not positive the grieving is totally over quite yet either (sorry, Dad - just being honest). Twenty-five years is a long time to dedicate your passion and leadership. 

It is the ending of an era, friends. Lee White is a free agent and no longer married to AARP. Blows my mind! Honestly, I think we all thought he was going to become an old man there. See the picture below. There were no grays when he started this gig. 

Waxing Nostalgic
I had the good fortune of working at AARP in the Fall of 2003 and got to see my dad in action. I specifically remember one all-staff meeting where my dad was speaking in front of thousand of people in a big conference hall that was being broadcasts all over the country to the state offices. I had to pinch myself for a minute and realize that this guy that rolled around on the floor with the grandkids and did handstand push ups in our living room was actually kind-of-sort-of-really-important and that people took him seriously. I had known his job was important but seeing him light up the room with his magnetic leadership is an experience I will forever hold close to my heart in our history together. 

In that moment, I was so proud to be his daughter. 
Nearly 8 years later, I am still so very proud to be his daughter.

Lee has taught me many, many things in my 31 years, but as it relates to work I wanted to take a minute and name just a few of these lessons:
  • It is so very possible to make work your passion
  • Believe in the people that you supervise. They will grow up to inspire you.
  • Play at work but work hard. In so doing, you will make fast friends. People like to be around people that know how to play well. 
  • Don't be greedy with leadership. Surround yourself with talent.
  • Even if you are in a hurry, say hi and chat with the lowly doorman every morning. Learn his name, about his life, and about his wife and children. His returned daily kindness will be the best way to start your (and your daughter's) day. 
  • Let the good you see in people freely flow out your mouth. People need to be reminded of their value.
  • Micro-managers don't make loyal, hard-working colleagues and more often than not don't make inspiring leaders
  • Integrity and kindness, in all matters of business, trumps job security, health insurance, and fatter retirement checks
Dad, we can't wait to have you around more as a much less stressed version of yourself. 
You have and continue to be one the biggest blessing in my life. 

Hello, freedom and no responsibility. 
Don't you look lovely on my dad. 

9 Comments:

Tiffany said...

What a beautiful tribute. Congrats to your dad!

Sizzle said...

I love it when you talk about your dad. You guys have such a great relationship. Makes me miss mine. I remember us talking about your dad leaving AARP- I hope the transition goes smoothly. That's an amazingly long time to commit to one place and I admire it. He certainly has a family happy to have him around more which should help.

Eva said...

Much love to your dad! He is a wise soul, and AARP has been so lucky to have him.

rc said...

That is such a cute pic of Leland.

I'm excited to see what's next for him. He's magic, just like his homecoming queen daughter :).

Lisa said...

Wow,what a great post. I wish I would have written it and then I would be the favorite daughter. I loved every word.

annie janke said...

He will have even more fun this next time around.

Michele said...

He will be greatly missed no doubt. But I am super proud of his bold decision for he made it for him and his family and it was time to embrace a new adventure. I know God has another place for Lee to make an impact!! I was tremendously blessed to have worked directly for him for 5 years and with him as a colleague and friend for 9 years after that. And even more blessed to have him in my life as a dear friend and big brother. Wonderful tribute Aimee to a good good man!!

LSL said...

I know I'm late, late, late, but I wanted to say how touching this tribute was. Beautiful.

Brianne said...

HI. Amelia I still remember when we first talked about Lee leaving. Your dad started working for AARP when we were six years old. It's odd how much of an impact a career can have on a family and it's friends. :) In my life alone your family moving to Seattle lead to me serving a mission, starting college which lead me to finishing college, it had an influence on which career path I ended up in, it lead to many traveling adventures, your family moving to Seattle is only part of what I have gained from watching Lee these last couple of years. I only hope to one day be as passionate about something, anything as Lee was about the company. Thanks Lee for teaching us about dedication, commitement, passion, friendship, and the kind of courage it takes to walk away and start something new after a lifetime.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP