Meet Grey.

Friday, March 9, 2012

I guess it is about time I introduced him here. Most of you already know via other means of social media that he arrived safe and sound but we need to make it officially official here in this space.

Blog friends, meet my new crush.
He smells like heaven. Heaven I tell you.

Grey Christian Heffernan
8 lbs 1 oz of squishy baby deliciousness


A lot of people have asked about the name. All I can say is that we agreed. Finally. And we are happy with our little Grey. He is a keeper. (Sorry to all the Xavier fans out there. Much to Scott's dismay, I just couldn't commit to that name.) 

Tonight I type to you alone on my couch as Scott went to a movie with some guys. Cash is asleep. Little man is continuing his 3 hour nap only stirring a few times to let me know his heart is still beating and I couldn't feel more content with my life right now. As Cash and I were waving goodbye to Scott as he backed out of the driveway I couldn't help but think how grateful I am for that man who has been such a great partner in helping us create this family of four. We are a family of four?! That makes me feel so grown up somehow. We had a second son, installed blinds in our bonus room (he installed, I cheered happily), read aloud The Book of Mormon Girl together, and tagged teamed the biggest boom-boom Cash has dumped to date. This is the kind of goodness a family of four gets to do together. It seems so trivial and so wonderful all at the same time. 

I feel like I have been much more sane the second time around. Overall, I think the traumatic birth of Cash and being a new mom rocked my world. I felt out of my body and not myself for about 6 weeks after his birth. I don't think I realized how much until I now have an emotional comparison since having Grey. I think having the perspective of doing it for almost 18 months has given me confidence that I can do this. I may have been faking it with Cash but now there is no fooling; I am a mom.

Cash is doing great. I know that is your next question. He loves to say, "baby baby baby baby baby" until I have to say, "yes, he is a baby." And then Cash just walks away and is back to being the center of his universe. So far so good. Scott is back at work next week so we'll see if things change but overall he is fairly oblivious. Little does he know we have just given him the greatest gift of his life. Sibs are the best so I don't feel too bad for him. 

Cash also talks like crazy. And lately he has been saying, "Mom. Mom." in this really cute matter-of-fact tone to get my attention. It kills me because it is so cute the way he says it. A little human calls me mom. Crazy.

Our de-granny-fication of the house is going well. I will post a before and after picture of our bonus room once we have it all put together. Things are moving though and I can't wait for the changes. 

Now I must go weed through the crappy streaming selection on Netflix and hopefully find something only slightly awful. (Although the Being Elmo documentary has made Elmo much less annoying to me and possibly even endearing. Who would've thought? You should watch it.)I think No Strings Attached might be the unfortunate winner. After we finish Downton we may have to say goodbye to Netflix once and for all - especially now that my incredible babysitter Toy Story 3 is no longer streaming. Cash and I were crushed when it no longer appeared in our instant que. Damn you, Netflix. You had the world in your hands and we are all sadly watching your great fall. Why? WHY did you do this to yourself?! 

And for now, goodnight my friends. 


15 Comments:

Shannon said...

I may have been there at the birth, seen him appear in other social media outlets, but it's here on your old forgotten blog that we get the details. (I already knew all of this being your sister and all. talking everyday gets me these details but I'm voicing my thoughts for all the others who want you to continue blogging these thoughts! FB, cell phone texts, and instagram can not give us these extra details. keep it up)!

Eva said...

What an important snapshot of your life to document. You'll be happy you did. Love how well all of you are doing. I think about you all the time and I'm so glad I got to "meet" him on video chat yesterday. A mom of two suits you!

Marit said...

CONGRATS to your family of four, that comment of yours made me smile! So happy for you guys and your little Grey is darling! I think he looks a lot like his Mamma! And LOVE the name! Big hugs Aimee!

Donna said...

Oh Aimee, I love your writing. I wish I could meet Grey in person! I'm so happy for you guys.

Skype date soon? We can set a time limit. :)

Sara said...

So happy for you! I love hearing the little glimpses of your night.

(and AMEN to your Netflix comments! Oh wow, we just dropped cable and are trying Netflix and the streaming content is so marginal. --though I did love Being Elmo.. And you should check out "Babies". Excellent)

Sizzle said...

Can't wait to meet him in person. Look at that little smile!

Making a family is a beautiful thing. It really is the small moments that make a life.

jamie said...

Love the name, and love him! He is adorable. Makes me baby hungry.......

rc said...

I agree, Aim. Your inner dialogue is priceless. Blog on! Can't wait to meet this new little nugget. Bookends.

Jenn said...

Grey! I HEART this name so much! I loved reading your bit about being a family of four. You write so well about adjusting and it lessens my fears of adding a new baby WITH a toddler in tow.

You guys rock. Little Grey is so flippin' cute, too! You guys make lovely babies and I agree, you gave Cash the best gift ever BUT you also gave Grey the greatest gift- a big brother!

MelancholySmile said...

I agree, there's nothing like a blog to put out all the details of your internal musings. :)

Baby Grey is pure deliciousness, I wish I could hold him.

Amen to your Netflix comments-- they really are shooting themselves in the foot with all their recent bumblings, aren't they? Though I must admit, I love the new 'just for kids' section. Particularly the 'characters' part-- even Baby R can navigate it!

I loved 'Being Elmo' as well. They also have an excellent documentary on the Eames' couple.

bjahlstrom said...

Whoo hoo! He is beautiful!

Jeff, Erin, Macy, Owen& June said...

He really is beautiful! I agree about the smell, heaven! Grey is the cutest name ever!!! Congratulations!

Jessie said...

Congrats Aimee!!! He is so beautiful! And isn't is just to surreal to say "family of four"? I LOVE saying it! But it still shocks me sometimes when I say "my kids".... something about the plural just makes it so crazy and exciting and scary and.... Well, anyway, Congrats again! I love his name and hope you guys all continue to adjust well!

Eric and Katie said...

What a handsome boy!! We are so happy for you guys. Congrats! We love you!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP