The King Bed: Good for a Relationship?

Monday, March 15, 2010

Back in October, Scott and I moved into the house of my sister's husband's brother (got that?) while the family figures out what they are going to do with the house and if/when they are going to put on the market. It is a lovely home to say the least. With the house comes many perks. A sports court, flat screen tv's, pool table, and a huge kitchen with sub-zero built-in fridge, deep sink, tons of storage, and a lovely range. It is pretty, pretty dreamy.  Scott and I are spoiled and enjoying every minute until they kick us out of here and we pack up and settle into a place where I imagine my kitchen with be the size of a closet. {sigh}

Another item that came with the house was the king size bed in the master bedroom. Scott and I have been married almost 4 years and have slept comfortably in our queen bed we got for our wedding. For 4 years I claimed we were a couple that touched and cuddled throughout the night. I would like to clarify my previous claim. We cuddled and touched throughout the night because that's what we did IN A QUEEN SIZE BED (because there wasn't many other options). I am realizing it is not because we are so completely in love that we had to be close all through the night. The king bed has brought a whole new dynamic in our sleeping routine. It allows plenty of room for each of us to spread out and/or camp out in our own little space without being touched by the other unless touching is so desired. No forced togetherness. We got to want to touch, ya know?!

Sometimes I have to go to great lengths to find Scott in the dark hours of the night when I want to be cuddled up close to him. Two roll overs seems like the Grand Canyon when you are tired and trying to find your love on the other side of the bed. I often resort to just stretching my leg out to just make sure he is over there and alive (of course it is soooo far away I can't even hear him breathing). It is easier than the trying to move my whole sleepy body to his side of the kingness. And because I have short legs sometimes even this takes great effort to finally find him over there. Once I finally meet his leg or foot or another body part it reminds me of the good ol' days in our queen bed where being close was the default.

I know most of you have an opinion out there. What say ye? Do you embrace the space of the king or like the closeness of the queen?

And speaking of beds. I finally got our new Dwell Studio duvet cover that I mentioned I was thinking about back in Feb. How could I pass up a regularly $280 set for $140 when I was in the market? I am still working on getting new sheets, pillow cases and decor pillows to make me never want to leave it. But just for fun I took a picture for y'all. This is where the magic happens, baby! I'm not going to lie. The Dwell duvet fabric feels like butta.



Hope you all are well today. Aren't we loving the extra hour of light?!

Oh spring; why can't you stay all year?
You could live with us. There is room for you in our king bed.

16 Comments:

Andrea Mouritsen said...

This is a really interesting and I have never though about this before. My husband and I have always had a king bed. And I love the space. But, it's true. Once we get in bed I won't be seeing him, hearing him or touching him until morning. The bed is just HUGE. I think I would like a smaller bed to be closer during the night.

Sizzle said...

Mr. Darcy and I slept in a king sized bed this weekend and it felt like we were on opposite sides of an island. I think I prefer the queen but maybe that's because we're in the newly in love stages of our romance. He is like a furnace at night so it could be nice to have a bit of space in the bed from it from time to time.

Love the duvet!

bjahlstrom said...

I vote queen. I like cuddling. And I love your last line: "There is room for you in our king bed." Nice writing, Aim. That was a great closer.

Lisa said...

No question, when you have kids you must have a king bed. We have ended up with 5 people in the bed by morning before, so I promise there is a lot of closeness even with a King. It is interesting though, we sleep much closer in our king size bed even when we are sans kids than we ever did in our queen beds in our early marriage. I think we have less time for touching and hugging in the day so we really crave being close at night. I can NEVER go back to a queen.

Lisa said...

P.S. I love the duvet!

Stacie said...

We have a king and will tell the day we die! Everyone needs to be able to stretch out at night. You'll get used to it. and now when we are at a hotel or something with a queen I go a little crazy because I don't have my space.

Love the new Duvet. and I love the deal that you got even more!

Miss ya

Shannon said...

king bed for sure, forever.

nice duvet.

loving the extra light, and spring weather.

LAINA said...

I have only slept in a king on vacations. Ours is a queen. I hate the space that a king takes up. Maybe that is cause I never plan on living in a large house and in a small house space is very important. On the other hand. I do love rolling over after hugs, kisses, and more and having pretty much my own bed. It makes for a much more restful night. But the closeness of a queen makes for some good stories...elbows in the eye, stolen covers.....

Lisa H. said...

um, a queen sounds HUGE to me at this point...as i climb the ladder to our so-called "full"-size loft bed.

Bridget said...

We've got a king. And like Lisa, we can wake up in the morning with 6 people in it. I wouldn't call it "spacious" by any means. ha haha.

Jessie said...

Hey Aimee! It's Jessie DeCastro from the good ol' singles ward... I found your blog through Michelle.... I noticed your comment on her latest post! CONGRATS! How exciting!!! When are you due? (Hooray for babies.... I'm incubating one myself... due in Aug.)

As for this post on king size beds. My hubby and I have a king and we LOVE it. We're all about snuggling and cuddling and touching, but as soon as we are ready to sleep, we enjoy the fact that we have our own space, can sprawl out, and don't touch at all. When we've stayed other places and had a queen, it was rough.

Anyway, congrats again, and hope you are doing well!

Carrie said...

First off, the duvet cover is so lovely. I LOVE dwell and the pattern is delightful.

Second, when you have children, a king bed is no longer roomy or a great divide between husband and wife. It is suddenly jam packed with too many bodies that somehow sneak in your room and take up the entire bed, leaving you to wish for a full size bed to pursuade said bodies to NOT have enough room to join and leave you alone.

Carrie said...

I should have read the comments before writing mine and just said "Second the motion about the kids!"

Jeni Angel said...

I once wrote a very similar post. My thoughts are, I love the queen. Even with 3 cats that take up every spare inch, I like all of us cuddled in. Whenever we go away and sleep in a King, I enjoy the space, but always like coming home to our little nest.

MAB said...

Would you believe we still share a full size mattress (and are still married after almost 12 years)? And every morning we wake up with at least one kid in there with us, many times all three.

It's a little crowded.

We've done our fair share of house sitting and slept in many other king beds. We seriously had to wave good night. I wasn't a fan. If it weren't for the fact that I love our headboard, we would upgrade to a Queen for sure.

Love the Duvet.

Lizz said...

you crack me up. as far as the king, we only get it on vacations, but love the extra space...it's where we ***tmi*** and still have room to sleep! My next bed will be a king.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP