Operation Sleep

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Gameplan: New upstairs neighbors moving in Friday night - this is it! Go cold turkey on the swaddle. No going in until 7am unless there was an emergency. Cash just gets more pissed when we go in and leave. Stay strong.

[Disclaimer: I know there are lots of different ways to help your child sleep. Please don't judge me and I promise not to judge you. This was our first attempt and if it doesn't go well than we will try other things. Jenny V - I know crying it out goes against everything good and holy about attachment parenting. I hope you will forgive me.]

NIGHT 1 • Tuesday - Wednesday Morning
9:15 = Cash finally goes to sleep after 45 minutes of tears, wondering what the crap happened to his swaddle, and rocking to sleep and ever so gently laying him in the crib. Are we ready for this?
10:26-10:32 = 6 minutes of crying
11:20-11:25 = 5 minutes of crying
12:35-12:50 = 15 minutes of crying
1:14-1:35 = 21 minutes of crying
2:50-3:04 = 14 minutes of crying
4:11- 4:15= 4 minutes of crying
5:10-5:43 = 33 minutes of crying (the hardest one - he must be hungry, I thought)
6:55 = Scott brought him in our bed

Rough night but if 30 minutes was the longest that kid has got in him than that wasn't so bad, right? I was expecting hours of tears. I thought he would be mad and give me the cold shoulder but he was all smiles and snuggles. Baby amnesia is lovely. I didn't sleep well at all. When I did fall asleep it was an anxious light sleep. Made me worried that I wouldn't have the resolve to make it through Operation Sleep: Day 2 and had to be extra on guard to not fall asleep on my clients. You can't be partially present when doing therapy so it is more challenging when sleepy.

NIGHT 2 • Wednesday - Thursday Morning
8:15 = Cash in a calm and relaxed mood when I feed him. Played in his crib for a few minutes and then fell asleep on his own.  No tears. Ok!
2:30 = I wake up and see the time. Impressed with my little man for making it 6 hours and happy for me that I got 4. Expecting to hear him any minute.
5:10 = Scott goes pee. We do the morning bed whispers for a bit. I am thrilled out of my mind I can hardly go back to sleep. I start worrying that something might be wrong in there even though I can see him on the video monitor. How could he go this long? My powers of thinking about him wake Cash up. He cries for 3 minutes and then goes back to sleep.
7:15 = He wakes up and I go into feed him. Afterward, he pukes all over me because my boobs are so full and creamy. This is what it must feel like to have a boob job, right?! :) He's not use to having so much to drink so puking is the result (or it is revenge for the night before? hmmmm...). We change clothes.

This pretty much sums up how I feel right now.


I realize from talking to lots of moms that we are not in the clear yet but it gives me hope for better sleep ahead and that perhaps this pain that I have had behind my eyes for 3 months will start to lessen.

Thank you to the Mom's Club for all the advice on Facebook and in emails. I couldn't have made it through the mom guilt without you. Literally, I kept reading my messages in the middle of that first night to stay strong.

Cheers to sleeping babies (and moms)!

14 Comments:

naptime nostalgia said...

best news ever. So glad he did so great! Don't you wish your neighbors had moved out or went on vacation sooner?

rc said...

I am still laughing about you walking into your neighbor's pod and getting the down low.

Life is never boring or passive agressive with you.

Cash is a lucky dude.

LAINA said...

Hooray! That sounded much more simple that what you imagined. Getting hobbes to sleep through the night ended up being much more simple than I imagined as well. It really helps when you have a loving partner to help you out.

Good luck with future sleeping.

Tiffany said...

As first time parents, you are WAY ahead of the game. Bravo! You'll thank yourself a million times over.

Eva said...

Aimee, I am so proud of you! I know that it is not easy. What a rough night on day #1. So glad that day #2 went so much better! I will probably be reading this post and your facebook words of support in about 3 months from now at midnight, then at 2am, 4am...and you get the picture... to get me through.

Humanist mom said...

Yay! You will finally be able to get a full night of sleep! Next sleep trouble will probably come when he figures out how to stand in his crib, but can't figure out how to lay back down. When Wes and Stella learned how to stand up in the crib, we had a month of non-sleep. But until then, enjoy every minute of it!

Shannon said...

operation sleep. GO!

(love your comment to Jenny, who I'm sure will forgive you...wel maybe)!

loved the last post too of giving Cash his hands free in case he needs to flip you guys off!

Bridget said...

Awesome! In the next day or two your nighttime milk supply will diminish and in a week you won't produce at night at all. :o). No overload or throwing up for Cash. You're basically training your body to let down at 7am. Nice. Unless you travel to a new time zone. Then you will wish your boobs were more flexible on their let downs. No worries. In a few days they'll catch up to demand.

bjahlstrom said...

I am so happy for you guys, Aimers. I love Cash, even though I haven't met him yet. Good sleeping, buddy!

Andrea Mouritsen said...

YES! My life changed when C started sleeping through the night. Amazing. I can read a book before bed! I've never slept so great. It's amazing. True... every once in a while she crys herself to sleep again. But we keep at it and 95% of the time she's perfect. Yay for you!

melanie said...

Damn straight you can do it! I think the hardest part is over. You now know he CAN do it. SO SO SO happy for you guys and to be over this first big hurdle. Cheers to more sleep for you and for him. Muah!

Sizzle said...

Ah precious, precious sleep. Go Cash-man, you can do it!

You did really good, mama.

Jenn said...

Congrats!!! I agree with Bridget about your breast milk. It'll dwindle a bit once the schedule is established...but it's nice not sleeping on engorged breasts. I'm so happy Cash is sleeping longer and longer! Good job, mama!

Kristin said...

Woohoo--I feel like that is a huge milestone. Not just for the baby, but for us as mom's. Going with our guts and having it work out is a total boost of confidence. Totally impressed with little mans' and mom/dad's ability to make the leap. Atta family.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP