Eleven PM, Mid-August 2012
Monday, August 20, 2012
Wow, has it really be 5 months since I have visited this place? Good heavens, that is too too long. Perhaps the longest I have ever been away from here as a few of you have reminded me. You know who you are. Hi. I am here! Yes, you are actually reading a blog post from me.
Back when I was in my early 20's I was lamenting to my dad about how times goes too fast while we were walking in my favorite forest. We started saying to each other, "Can you believe it is already early {insert month}?!" And, "Can you believe it is already mid {insert month}?!" And also, "Can you believe it is already late {insert month}?!" We have been doing the early, mid, late month check in together for over a decade now. So recently I said to him, "Can you believe it is already mid-August, Lee?!" MID-FREAKING AUGUST. What the cuss?!
And I ask you all blog friends: Can you believe it is already mid-August 2012? Where has our life gone?
Time; you know what you are. I don't even need to say it.
Sometimes at night when I am closing the door on my two little boys I shake my head and wonder how I got here.
Wasn't I just worrying about when I was going to get my first kiss?
Wasn't I just a teenage girl tanning out on our tramp? (I was super tan in my teens years (and maybe all the years until I married Scott). I miss it. Blasted cancer.)
Wasn't I just moving up to Seattle and having no friends my sophomore year?
Wasn't I just riding on the bus for my high school graduation with Rushie sitting next to me?
Wasn't I just talking late into the night with Nicole up on the top bunk at Western? (She is having twins any week now!)
Wasn't I just riding my bike in a skirt and on packed snow in Japan as a missionary?
Wasn't I just loving life and living with the girls in the Hermosa house?
Wasn't I just falling in love with Scott on the couch on the back porch?
Didn't I just become a mom? How do I have 2 humans to be responsible for now?
Doesn't time ever just trip you out? Geeze Louise.
Anyyyyyywayyyyyy......
So what have we been up to? This is where 5 months of radio silence takes it toll. Let me give you the highlights and overall feelings about life at the Heffernan's.
Transition to Two: Not so bad, people. Ya'll tried to scare me about having them so close but honestly it hasn't been too bad. We are already deep into babyville over here. Diapers, sippy cups, stretch marks, poop, blow outs, bath toys. How life has changed ladies and gentleman. So why not just throw another little one into the mix? I do think my transition from none to one was the hardest for me. You might remember this post and this one. Yeah, things have been much more chill for me this time around. I remember worrying that I wouldn't love #2 as much as I loved Cash. If I could go back and tell my 6 month ago self how my love would expand so much, she probably would just not understand. Grey is a lovie. A lovie I tell you! Which means I can't but help to love all over him. He is chill and happy and lets me know when he wants to be swaddled and than other than that he only cries when I may not be paying enough attention to him or when Cash sits on his head or something. I really think I like his personality and sometimes he smiles like he gets my jokes and silliness. I love it. I have enjoyed babies so much more by having my own. As many of you know, I wasn't a huge baby fan pre having my own so I was kind of nervous about the whole newborn/baby phase of my life. But I am here to report that I love my children! Phew! (You think I am kidding but I was seriously worried about myself).
Exhibit A: Get out, right? He could be the Gerber baby. I would make him a kid star if kids stars weren't so kids stars ifyaknowwhatIamsayin'.
Scott: He is still loving his weird job at Archie McPhee. I am so pleased he found a job that suits him so well. Suddenly my husband has become more of an extrovert. Evidenced here and at certain social events I'm like, "Let's go," and he's all, "I just want to say hi to this person." Who is this man and where have they taken Scott? I actually really like it though. Scott is such a fun human and I love when people get to see that side of him. I think motherhood has made me a little more introverted so it has been an interesting reversal for us. We just celebrated our 6th anniversary. Old.
Our House: We have a house! I am still not over this or taking it for granted. I love being in our own place. We have done pretty much all the painting in the house inside and out. It has slowly become our own. My neighbor owns a painting biz and we did a little summer trade. I took his daughter 3 days a week and he painting the exterior of my house. Good deal. I now know all about the Disney teeny boppers and sadly have this song in my head way way way more than I want to admit. Now I just need to pick a front door color. I will try and be diligent and post the before/after pix here too. Of course there are still tons I want to do (hang more pictures, change out lighting, yard stuff, bathroom remodel, new living room furniture and on and on) but I am content with our humble little house and we will do things one
Cash: He is obviously the cutest almost-2-years-old-next-month year old. He talks like crazy. Everyone is like, "Whoa, that kid talks a lot." I don't think it is anything we have done really. He just talks a whole bunch. Like full sentences and he understands social nuances. For example, the other day he was like, "Bye, Dad. Have fun." When Scott was leaving for some garage sale shopping. His curls are awesome and I love him most of the time (Sunday are hard. Don't judge.). I am so proud of the little person he is becoming. It has been such a joy watching him be alive for 2 years.
Aimee (I like to refer to myself in the third person): So I am just still busy at my practice. We've worked it out so that I can work hours that Scott can be with the kids so we only have to have someone watch them every once in a while (Thanks, Shan). I updated my website this week which was fun. I was bored with my old one and feel different as a therapist now that I have some time under my belt so I needed a change. It is sexier now. I hope you like it. You can tell all your friends to come see me. You know, because I can't see you since we are friends and all. Even though sometimes I get clients that I want as friends because they are cool. I am still working for Julie too doing the clothing thing and it is working great for me to be home and do that job. She is good to me. I am hoping lots of sweaters sell at BP this fall/winter! Make it rain, baby. Make it rain.
My hair is falling out way way way more than after I had Cash. What is up with that? At this rate I am going to be bald by September. The things we do for our kids. (Do you ever find yourself thinking in hashtags now? Like just then I thought #thethingswedoforourkids but then thought it would be weird to get all hashtagged up in here.) Oh, technology. Again, you should follow me on Instagram if you haven't already. My username is aimeeheff and you should follow Scott too (scottheff) because he posts some funny shit.
I am not even going to say when I will be back next or why I have gone missing for so long. I love this history that I have in this space so I really do have good intentions to be here. But alas, no expectations will be best for me.
Thank for reading. Come over and talk sometime soon, would ya!




6 Comments:
Where HAS our life gone? I think about this a lot. How am I 39? How is it almost September 2012?
I haven't seen Cash in too long. Last time he wasn't talking. I'm excited to see your colors in your house on Saturday (and see you!).
Thanks for treating me to a mid-day
Aimee update! I love reading contemplations on life by one of my favorite people.
LOVE IT!
Excellent update! I too have pretty much abandoned my blog and have no idea when I'll return. The thought of sitting down to update sort of stresses me out...not quite sure why :)
PS - you have a new follower on Instagram :)
Even though I knew most of this, I LOVED reading it. You're really good at this stuff. Love you and your whole fam!!
#loveditall!
Post a Comment